Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in finding out more about the 70/80 hybrid found in 94+ Dodges with the V10/Cummins and a manual tranny. I have heard it has the dana 80 centersection, and dana 70 axle tubes and ends.
A few questions,

what ring gear does this axle use? D80 or a unique unit? (the only reason I ask is because of some confusion I gathered in a web search. Some sites listed the Ring gear as 11", but the dana 80 has a 11.25" ring, didn't know if this axle had a one-off or not.)

what diameter is the pinion? I already know they are 37 spline.

what is the WMS-WMS measurement of this axle?

I know the axleshafts are D70 1.5" 35 spline, but if the center is indeed a D80, could I use a D80 Detroit Locker for 37 spline app., and run true D80 1.6" 37 spline shafts with no other mods?

thanks

( I tried searching and most everything i turned up is hearsay or conjecture)

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
its a dana 80 with 70 tubes and axles its in all 94+dodges with manual tranny.01.5and02 have disc on them.8 lug.i dont think they made any stock axles 37 spline that are the right flange bolt pattern or lenght. the B.O.M. on mine is 606710-4

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The dana 80 pinion spline OD is 1.582, the yoke will fit on the axle spline. The dodge spindles on dana 80 will not pass the 37 spline axles and the BP on the axle head is too large. I recently bought a ford dana 80 rear that was taken out of a new truck and was told it had broken axles, when turned it felt like striped splines. I opened it up and found it was a new diff. with a 37 spline DT. true track and 35 spline axles, it was built like this at dana - must have been on a friday at 4:30 pm. steve differential eng. inc

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Steve, out of curiosity why are you after this info. Shouldnt a true dana 80 be able to be found easily in a old roached motor home?

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
MC said:
Steve, out of curiosity why are you after this info. Shouldnt a true dana 80 be able to be found easily in a old roached motor home?
it would be but it will have 4to 4.5 inch tubes and be 10 lug

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
thats right

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
MC said:
I am posting this info for the original question. The D80 motor home diff's really can not be used for anything. The one got was 2003 1/2 F350. steve

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MC said:
If you have me on ignore, then how did you see this thread? :confused:

anyway, thanks for the info steve. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Davethorik said:
I am interested in finding out more about the 70/80 hybrid found in 94+ Dodges with the V10/Cummins and a manual tranny. I have heard it has the dana 80 centersection, and dana 70 axle tubes and ends.
A few questions,

what ring gear does this axle use? D80 or a unique unit? (the only reason I ask is because of some confusion I gathered in a web search. Some sites listed the Ring gear as 11", but the dana 80 has a 11.25" ring, didn't know if this axle had a one-off or not.)

what diameter is the pinion? I already know they are 37 spline.

what is the WMS-WMS measurement of this axle?

I know the axleshafts are D70 1.5" 35 spline, but if the center is indeed a D80, could I use a D80 Detroit Locker for 37 spline app., and run true D80 1.6" 37 spline shafts with no other mods?

thanks

( I tried searching and most everything i turned up is hearsay or conjecture)

I think you will run into hub.spindle problems, i belive the spindle and Hub assemblies are going to fight you a little but then again its just via eye balling it. I thought the axle flang on a 37 spline is wider than the std dana outer hub also the ID of the spindle i think will be an issue since it is the same as D60/70

As to carriers D80 and D70HD share alot of similarities. Like you can get a D70HD carrier for a 3.55 raio and it will work on a D80 Hybrid 3.55 ratio axle. the only mod is the ring gear bolt holes need to be opened up to take the D80 larger bolts.

This opens up carrier options for you. If you go 37 spline the axle diameter is larger like 1.6 something vs 1.5 35 spline on the dodges.
I ran a D70HD Power Lok modied to fit my D80 rear for over 200k miles worked great. I like having a woder variety of options.

How often do you hear about a 35 spline dodge breaking a rear shaft? even in the truck pulls pushing 1000 ft/lbs.

food for thought

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
If you have me on ignore, then how did you see this thread?
Dont know what to say, dont have anyone on ignore....sure your adsressing the right guy

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
wait a sec maybe I screwed up I thought gerstner posted this.............hmm late nights at the shop...sorry guys for the confusion

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Davethorik said:
If you have me on ignore, then how did you see this thread? :confused:

anyway, thanks for the info steve. I appreciate it.
The 37 spline dana axles are not worth trouble, moser 35 spline alloy axles are 40% stronger that the stock 37 spline axles, and 50% stronger than the stock dana 80 axles. This is what is use in the dana 80 rear for the sled pulling trucks. I hope this will help. steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts