Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy of mine has a mildly bombed 2002 Dodge Cummins with an aluminum flat bed on the back of it. It get really squirly in the back end when it's wet out, especially while running up hill and trying to accelerate. The truck does see some tow duty, usually between 7-10K depending on what rig we are hauling. Anyone running some sort of locker for their 80? I am trying to talk him out of a clutched type, but really don't know what out there for the 80 rear end. He was talking ARB because of the ability to turn it off. When I told him you had to be stopped or close to stopped for it to engage, it kinda put him off. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
If I ever put a locker in either my 10.25 or D80 it will be an ARB. I too would like a locker in the rear of my trucks but DONT want anything like a detroit or even a tru trac for towing.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
I'd never, ever concider a arb for the back of anything but a comp rig.
Open diffs suck in the winter on snow and ice. and with a selectable, your stuck running either open, or a spool. While I spent 4 years DDing with a spool outback, its not exactly the greaest thing in the world, and doesn't work great with towing..
IMHO, the only two options left are a detroit or a limited slip. I plan on putting a detroit in mine when I get the money. I know several people that run lockrights in the back of their tow rigs, and love them. Hell, years ago, detroits in dumptrucks and semi's weren't all THAT uncommon..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Jrod-13 said:
I'd never, ever concider a arb for the back of anything but a comp rig.
Open diffs suck in the winter on snow and ice. and with a selectable, your stuck running either open, or a spool. While I spent 4 years DDing with a spool outback, its not exactly the greaest thing in the world, and doesn't work great with towing..
IMHO, the only two options left are a detroit or a limited slip. I plan on putting a detroit in mine when I get the money. I know several people that run lockrights in the back of their tow rigs, and love them. Hell, years ago, detroits in dumptrucks and semi's weren't all THAT uncommon..

Your kidding right? Open diff's suck in snow and ice? :eek:

I've vote selectable. No way I'd run a detroit in a tow rig with some weight on the back. Imagine not being able to turn or being pushed through a corner.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
VinSil said:
Your kidding right? Open diff's suck in snow and ice? :eek:
Your right... Living in a town where it snows 6 days a week, and we get 300" a year, I have no idea what I'm talking about :flipoff2:
Open diffs are worthless, its impossible to get going up hills, or away from stoplights. They are also very unpredictable, when one tire starts spinning, then grabs traction, and forces the other one to break loose, and kicks you sideways.. no thanks.. The spool in my F-150, lincoln locker in my BII, or the overshimmed track-loc in my mustang were are waaaayyy more predictable in the winter(all three acted identical)
I agree with you about a lockers ability to push you through a turn, but only if your driving like a moron, and hard on the throttle. Remember, a locker is only going to lock if your putting enough power to it, to force it to break traction.
Again, this is just my opinion, and its based off my expirance, someone who isn't used to winter driving, or has mild winters(where a 4" dusting is a "blizzard") might see things a little different.
In all honesty, I think the best option is a powerlock. Hopefully dsdiesel will post up about what he did to convert a dana 70 powerlock to fit into a dana 80.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm not doubting you...just I've honestly NEVER heard anyone say that before.

I've got a powerlok in my D70 and it's a great LS. Works great.

I don't get winters up here like you describe at all....so I guess that puts my opinion out. ;)

My dad owns a towing company. He bought a used truck with a detroit in it...and soon had it taken out. It sucked honestly towing anything heavy enough to lighten up the front wheels. Any amount of throttle locks up a detroit...I know when I have my camper and rig on trailer behind my Dodge I'm on the throttle enough to not want a detroit in the rear. Or a spool.

But I run a ARB in the rear of my Runner so I'm biased. I'd put a ARB in my tow rig before any other locker if I kept finding myself without enough traction though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I tow, its a heavy gooseneck, *I* would not put a detroit in the rear of my tow vehicle. I am far more worried about trying to drag 29,000# around a corner under power, somethings got to give, it might be the tires, or it might be an axle shaft. I ain't going to find out. I really like my trac lock in my dana 70. 225,000 miles of drag races, full throttle fishtailing, offroading and towing with no problems. Spins both tires all the time.

Dodge put "LS" in the dana 80 but stacked the plates so the LS slipped more then it limited. If you find a factory LS tear it down and restack it the way its supposed to be.

Oh yeah, opens plain suck year around, snow included. Everybody should learn to drive in the snow, behind the wheel of a nose heavy, very torquey, manual tranmission diesel pickup that has a nice tight LS. It'll teach you to steer with the drive tires!

Michael

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have the factory limited slip and it works great. I have towed with a detriot and I don't like it. I have also towed with an arb set-up and it was okay and I can say i really don't think I ever used the arbs while towing. I personally like the limited slip because it gives you the traction you need but isn't as hard on the axles.

-ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts