Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current truck is a '97 4WD Ram 3500 Dually, and I've been toying with the idea of putting a limited slip in the rear end. My previous truck was a 1/2 ton chevy with a semi floating 14 bolt and a gov-locker, and the thing I dislike most about the current truck is the fact that it has open differentials. I really don't want a detroit in something that is on the street 95% of the time I drive it, but I also don't want to spend too much money. I was hoping I could find a limited slip for $300-$400, but everything seems to be $600-$700, at least for a dana 80. The truck has a dana 80 with 3.55 gears. Anybody have any recommendations for a cheaper LSD or even a locker (other than a detroit...or a spool)? Would sourcing used parts be a good idea, or would you steer clear? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
Got a lunchbox locker in my DRW 10.25, fuckin' A night and day, used to get stuck in wet grass, it's so nice now even just the 2wd.
I went with that rather than welding it because it gets 10k on the rear axle from time to time... because I'm a horrible person and should not go to auctions

You one of the fags that is just gonna daily it unloaded 100% of the time? If so just weld it. Does way good in the snow. Would not DD a winter beater without a welded rear after these last 4 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a lunchbox locker in my DRW 10.25, fuckin' A night and day, used to get stuck in wet grass, it's so nice now even just the 2wd.
I went with that rather than welding it because it gets 10k on the rear axle from time to time... because I'm a horrible person and should not go to auctions

You one of the fags that is just gonna daily it unloaded 100% of the time? If so just weld it. Does way good in the snow. Would not DD a winter beater without a welded rear after these last 4 years.
more like 95% of the time :flipoff2: ;)
It will be used for towing occasionally, hence my hesitation to weld it/put a spool in.

And tell me about it. I noticed a huge difference going from a locked rear to an open one. Open diffs in the snow are a joke after driving something without an open rear diff for the last few years

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Currently looking at the Powertrax LockRight Locker and the Nitro Gear and Axle LunchBox Lockers. Anyone have experience with these 2? Brand Preference? The LockRight lists my specific vehicle and axle in its vehicle compatibility chart, while the Nitro Gear LunchBox says its for a dana 80 but does not list my specific vehicle in its compatibility list, which consists of mostly 70s and 80s vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
No experience with Dana 80 but I’ve ran spartan lockers and Aussie locker. Both lunchbox style like a lock right. Worked. Now I’m trying out a Yukon Grizzly. But definitely don’t weld something you want to drive on the street regularly. I’d spring for a real locker on a tow rig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
$3-400. :lmao:

Not gona happen billy.there is NOTHING cheap with a d80.

Selectable or buying a used half dead track lock.
The LockRight seems to be about $450, which is more of the price range I'm looking at. A selectable locker for the D80 would cost almost as much as I paid for the truck, otherwise I wouldn't consider used parts. But on something this cheap I wouldn't mind used parts.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts