Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with someone about shortening an axle housing and they said to have to tubes removed from the carrier housing to shorten it and rotate the inner knuckles.

So I don't have an idea on how to remove them?
Or if it can be done?

Is this possible?

·
Registered
569 Posts
the long axle tube must be shortened and the long axle shaft must be shortened and resplined. fyi the axle tubes are pressed in.

what axle is it?

·
Registered
574 Posts
That is one way of doing it. The tubes, as already stated, are pressed in, in addition to being plug welded. I've done it and it is a "job" I drilled the plug welds (rosette welds) out by starting with a small pilot drill, about an eighth inch or so then working my way up to a drill large enough to remove all the weld. Takes a large press, plus on the D60's I did, several machined plates or plugs to fit inside the tube, to press them out.
Probably an easier way for someone without access to machinery to do the shortening job is to grind the weld off/out that hold the inner knuckles on. You can "pound" the knuckles off, cut the tube to the needed length, and then reweld the knuckles back on, having rotated them to where you want them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The axle is a 44.

And I only need to shorten the long side, but will nee to rotate the knuckles also.

It sounds like removing the knuckles would be the easier way to go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
yeah, i dont see why you just cant remove the knuckles, cut that ybe end, then re-weld em, no need to remove the tube from the diff housing if you dont have to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts