Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 son purchased a 4.88 rev, D60 gear set...so he thought. The pinion bearing fits match the old pinion taken out of the existing housing. The question is , did Dana use a crush sleeve on D60 pinions? The new pinion has a shorter shoulder section then the the old one. When assembled in the housing it seems to need a spacer (crush sleeve) to allow a tight fit. I have asked local experts, they could not remember Dana using a crush sleeve in the 60. My next question is , given the diameters are the same what does this gear set fit? Ring gear is the correct diameter and has the correct number of bolts.
This is my first post to this forum. Please excuse any violations of posting conventions...I'll learn.
Jerry

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jerry,
Yes, I beleive Dana does use a crush sleeve in the very late 60's. You did not mention the model year of 60 you are working on. I have seen this before on an earlier version 60 I was building and the new gearset had the shorter shoulder you refer to. I was able to install a spacer on the new pinion to take up the slack. I used a used 9" crush sleeve and quite a few shims to get the preload right! :D I would try to obtain the correct gearset for your 60 though as I think it will make things much easier.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I do not know if the Dana did this with the D-60.
But I do know the late model low pinion D-30 fronts in the Jeeps do use a crush sleeve, First I'd ever heard Dana using a crush sleeve.
But to hear that they might have used one on the D-60 doesn't suprise me:shaking:

Eric

·
Registered
465 Posts
The gearset I used was NIB Spicer parts and had a crush sleeve in the kit! The RC 60 I built was an '87 and it belonged to D60 on the board. We were putting in 5.38's and I thought it odd there was a crush sleeve in the install kit. The install kit was Spicer also if I remember correctly. Once I had the pinions on the bench I noticed the same thing as you, Jerry! Like I stated in previous post I just spaced it with an old used crush sleeve and a bunch of shims until I had the correct preload.
D60....... help me remember if you read this.

Jerry, call some reputable shops and see if you can get the correct R&P for the earlier 60. Try Randy's or talk to Steve Gerstner on the board. Do a search for Differential Engineering.

·
Registered
280 Posts
All of the new Fords use a crush sleve (50&60's), where did the gear set come from? The crush sleve they use is similar in size to the one used in the 9".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I have a plan to get the right parts I need to complete this project.
Thanks again
Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts