Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone (while waiting for my 44 :D) welded there dana 30 and got a manual disconnect, so it doesnt effect on road driving? does it stand up to this? would it be a good mod for a streeter?

And you can assume that ill lock the rear too ;)

I posted in the n00b forum because dana turdie talk aint allowed with the big boys :D

:cool:

(The search resulted in nothing, unless im a moron)

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
I considered doing this with my XJ and everyone told me not to, that I would break the disconnect. I ended up with a lockrite and TJ shafts, and haven't broken yet.
(but an RC 44 is in the works anyway)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
foley said:
I considered doing this with my XJ and everyone told me not to, that I would break the disconnect. I ended up with a lockrite and TJ shafts, and haven't broken yet.
(but an RC 44 is in the works anyway)
true, true, but I thought the cable disco made it stronger?

and Id be sure to get x297 shafts (if they even came in the disco configuration)

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
hjeepxj said:

true, true, but I thought the cable disco made it stronger?

and Id be sure to get x297 shafts (if they even came in the disco configuration)
The weak link is supposedly the inner shaft itself... but I didn't really look at it. I'll glance at them this weekend and compare, I think I still have them floating around the shop.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I installed one in my MJ at the same time as a lockright. I always had a hell of a time getting it to engage. The splines never wanted to match up for some reason. Then I broke an axle and it took out the lockright and the cable fork at the same time. Swapped in a later model 30 with the one piece 297 shafts and never had any more trouble.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used to have mine welded with 33's. It never broke but i allways had that uneasy feelin in my gut.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I would say to definately go to a later model shaft and get rid of the 2 piece... Throw a lockright in there and be done with it.. You most likely wont even notice the lockright on the street. The only time it will be noticeable is when torque is supplied via 4WD..

Hope this helps

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LUVMYTJ said:
I would say to definately go to a later model shaft and get rid of the 2 piece... Throw a lockright in there and be done with it.. You most likely wont even notice the lockright on the street. The only time it will be noticeable is when torque is supplied via 4WD..

Hope this helps
sure does! thanks! now i just need to save my pennies for a lockrite...

:D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
uglyscout said:
Not to get this going in the worng direction but - by the time you get new shafts and a lockright for your 30, wouldn't you be pretty close to getting a 44 and just running around open for a while?

I'd just hate to toss money at a 30 and then throw it in the trash in a short while when a 44 comes along.
true, true...

but I bet I can sell it to some sucker on JU

:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I wouldn't weld it cause you could forget about steering it then!:eek: Honestly though, I run a locker in my front D44 and I love the traction but sometimes I just hate it! Icy roads are a white knuckler and going down hill with all the weight on the front end gives my P/S pump a real workout! If you still want to lock it up at least get a Lock Rite, if money is an issue, if it isn't go for the gusto ARB, OX Locker or maybe the new Detroit Electrac!:D

·
Registered
291 Posts
lockright

if you stuff a lockright into a non disco front axle you will know its ther in 2wd,

you make alot of sharp turns or u turns? the fawkin lockright will trip out and ratchet and pop like a mofo (had 1 in my 85 xj)
but if you kept your shitty vacuum disconnect front and not change to a solid passenger side shaft, you will not feel the locker in 2wd.

if you are going to go with non disco shafts, i would get a powertrax no-slip, they are hardly noticeable, all you hear is a muffled "click" in turns and thats it!

all thats stopping me from upgrading to a dana 44 is that the bracket kit costs 400 fricken dollars!! they must smoke alot of crack at rubicon express lol, they are really cool guys there couple buddies work there. but fawk take out a loan and get a front 44, hell we are all rich arent we?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts