Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body make a 5 on 4.5" set of spindles for a Dana44 front axle? I have searched over and over and everybody seems to just go 5 on 5.5". I have the XJ Dana44 in the rear with a Detroit and it has the 5 on 4.5" pattern. I was hoping to not have to swap axles or use adapters on the rear and then have to swap rims.

I have a machine shop. Is there a problem in redrilling the rotors? Is the center too large, or what?

My plan is to get a Ford HP44 and retube it for my XJ.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I dont believe a 5 on 4.5" pattern will clear a 44 internal hub body. You can redrill your rear axle to 5 on 5.5. But then you're talking new wheels (at least thats cheap)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense, but does anybody know for sure that it is a clearance problem?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
A friend of mine runs his TJ outers on a 44 to keep the 5 on 4.5, I imagine he had to change the "C" but don't really know.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
The inner C is different on the TJ axle, so yep that had to be swapped on. From my rough guess, having run these hubs before the studs would come up pretty fricken close to the hub wall, and the nuts wouldnt clear. I've never seen it. Normally theres a reason for that ;)

Heres 6 on 5.5. Those are 3/4" lug nuts. Which means the outer edge is on a 5.25" circle. Another 3/4" smaller to clear the 4.5 then add lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you use the outers off of a jeep like mentioned above, it will be affordable because you will keep your rims and rear bolt pattern. It can be done. However, it will be full time drive on the front. No lockouts. Not in gear from your tcase, but the wheels will keep everything spinning. Unless your rims are really expensive, change your pattern. It will save you from the extra wear on your drivetrain. And its :idea: stronger.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
You can run standard dana 44 c's, with 75-80.5 Dodge half ton knuckles. They have a reputation of not having the best bearings.. but i have heard alot of mixed stories. Either way, if you want, i have a pair of flat top knuckles, with new bearings, breaks, and a milemarker hub conversion for sale if you want them.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Tom Houston said:
No offense, but does anybody know for sure that it is a clearance problem?
Yes, it is a clearance problem. The hub diameter is too large to go 5 on 4.5". Of course we all know that the spindle has nothing to do with wheel bolt pattern. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Sundowner said:
arent the dodge knuckles bizzare items with unit bearings and full-time only spindle-hubs?
yes.

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
If you have knuckles that take a 5 bolt spindle you can use Explorer/Ranger Dana 35 spindles, outers, hubs and brakes to get a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. But then you are stuck with the problematic short spindle.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I think this comes down to:
a) pull the rear XJ shafts and send them to moser for redrill to 5.5" bolt circle or get it done localyy if oyu can

b) get a real, honest to goodness, front hub assembly that takes the find-it-in-your-grocers-freezer 20990 warn hubs. forget about the conversion kits, stealing parts off of exploders, or the like.

c) ditch the candy ass baby truck bolt pattern for good

d) don't you DARE bitch about having to get new rims.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Paul Gagnon said:
If you have knuckles that take a 5 bolt spindle you can use Explorer/Ranger Dana 35 spindles, outers, hubs and brakes to get a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. But then you are stuck with the problematic short spindle.
The Explorer (at least my explorer) takes a 6 bolt spindle, but the pattern is different from Jeep/Chevy D44 spindles.

Tom,
I'm sure there's some combination of parts that will let you do what you're trying to do, but you will either end up with a weak unit bearing that you won't be able to put hubs on (not ideal if you're going to run a locker up there), or you will end up with weak Ford ranger/Explorer hubs. Either way, what's the point of upgrading from the D30 only to keep a weak link? If you're going to do it, do it right. Change the pattern on the rear to match and get new wheels or just keep the D30.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mike - was your tire out all night drinking and piss itself??? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
bulldozer said:
Mike - was your tire out all night drinking and piss itself??? :flipoff2:
Yep, it sure did. My tires know how to party :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Change up. I have a set of four white steel rims with the pattern that you need. they are 15x8 5on5.5 backspacing? about4"?
They look awful right now, but let me know if you want them and I'll clean em up. You can paint em black and they will be the same thing as the rockcrawlers. I did this swap up to the bigger pattern and came across the extra rims.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts