Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna get everyones opinion on what would be the advisable way to go. I'm soon to aquire another Sami, and want to immeadiatly start tweeking it, sooooooo, With in mind I want to run 35x15-15TSLsx Sidekick motor and 4.16 case, what axles do I run? I own a set of Toyota 8.0's and a Dana 30fr, 44rear out of a CJ-5. I could also narrow a Ford 9" I hve also. IDEAS Fellas

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
just my exp. toy 8" much better then the 30 my 02

Have to thinlk about gear options d30 tops 4 something 44 5.89
9" ok Im not sure but would you be able to get a match gear wise front and rear toys 5.29 and 5.71

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
SJ410Bark said:
[B run 35x15-15TSLsx Sidekick motor and 4.16 case, what axles do I run? [/B]
Well starters I would delete your last post if it differs from this one. Then I would go with the 6?to 1 gears so you can stay in the 4.## range for the added strengh of the R&P. As far as the axels go my .02 is with the dana stuff BUT not the 30 find a 44 out of a Waggy. D44 warn axels and CTM joints and you are set. Now keep in mind I have never delt with berf's before but from what I have read they are not as stronge and the dana set up I mentioned.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry

I tried to erase it, don't know how to though. The Idea between the 30fr, or toy was I own them. Buying a 44 would take $$$, which I don't have to spend. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also already own the 4.16:1 rocklobster t-case. A 6:1 costs $900 I do not have.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Either axle will require a fair amount of beefing to work well. There's a super kit for the 30, or super birf's for the toy, take your pick. The 9" is definitely more axle than you need.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They toys will work fine never heard of people having problems with em. on zuks that is ask az rockrockcrawler bout em.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
personally i like the waggy dana44's front and rear. with the choices you gave though you should stick to the toy axles. they are a better choice.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
9" rear = Low pinion

Go with Toy' sor Dana's.

Do some searching - this topic is re-hashed every other week or so.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Wilson said:
Either axle will require a fair amount of beefing to work well. There's a super kit for the 30, or super birf's for the toy, take your pick. The 9" is definitely more axle than you need.
You don't need to beef the Toy axles, especially with that gearing. Just make sure your steering stops are set properly and your birfs should live a long happy life. FWIW I am not going superbirfs until I go 38's on my next rig.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
fatkid said:
I think the Dana 30 tops out at 4.56, not to mention the Toy has larger shafts and some other really nice features. IMHO.
Nope, I´ve got 4.88...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Shawn_C said:
Yeah like removable 3rd members. I don't think the dana does
THAT´S prolly the greatest single advantage of the Toys. It´s a real PITA to set up Danas, laying on your stomach / back under the truck, using trial and error trying to get the fawking right shims for pinion depth and backlash...

However, in terms of after-market or junkyard replacement, it´s hard to beat Danas. At least here in Brasil, that it.......

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
the d30 now has 4.88 avaliable as someone mentioned.

IMHO i think everyone is upgrade happy. I think a D30 on a zuke would hold up fine with CTM joints in the front. Heres why...

I ran a TJ w/4.56s (4.0L) with 33TSLs and only ever broke u-joints. I see lots of TJers running 4.56/4.88 behind the 4 bangers with 33s and bigger now with little or no problems (some with CTM joints not all).

Were talking a TJ thats 4,000 lbs or so with an engine that makes ? hp/torque (ie more than a zuke or 1.6)

I see people running 35"/36" tsls/SXs ets.. on a D30s with warn shafts and CTMs with sucess...

Now for my disclaimer... not any of these people were in competition or were really hard wheelers (imho) but their stuff was holding up...

Just remember power / weight and see where your stuff fits in..

+ you can knock off a good 1/2" on a d30 with little / no work

just some opinions from the other side of the table...

-yager
(just remember your reading opinions from someone whos choppoing off stock frame rails to save 2" so what do i know)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I´m running 35" TSL/SX tires on an open-knuckled D30 front, stuffed with 4.88 gears and an ARB. No problems so far.

What suprises most people however isn´t this, but the fact that I´m running another open-knuckled D30 front axle, flipped around IN THE REAR. And this one´s welded...

I haven´t broken anything (yet) and I wheel relatively hard (I bent badly both of my stock axles). However, it must be taken into consideration that 100% of my wheeling is in deep mud and ruts. No rocks here...

TIFWIW....

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Dana 30

I had 2 Jeeps with Dana 30's in the front, Both XJ's.. A toy front would be strongr, not to mention about the same clearance as Danas have a cast housing, where Toys have a stamped steel housing.. The problems i had with D30 Axles were no Hubs, But I put in a $$$ Kit for that... You may have an earlier axle, if so, its standard rotation, where as XJ's had a stronger Reverse Rotations gearset in them... Also I bent the tubes on all the axles I used, on a Cherokee (yes, more weight, but not more than a Toy truck for sure) and the ball joints were bad to bend? or some crap, making the tops of my 33" TSL's lean in so bad that it was super noticeable sitting in a parking lot... Almost all D 30's are 27 spline, toys are 30... Go with a heavier axle, you'll be glad you did, as getting a D30 up to par is more cash than you will spend on a Junkyard 44, or a Toy even...

Sorry to Rant, but if you plan on 33" tires or so, you'll still stress that axle out with any gearing at all, not to mention the problem with the tires leaning inwards at the top after a year or so of wheeling had...

Oh yeah, I only had a crawl ratio of about 46:1 and an old old V-6 Engine and still managed to tear it apart a few times... U-Joints ( that was a 297, not the smaller 260) and Pinions were bad to go, and shafts were a usual break on the trail...

But at the same time, this is a Zuk, so mabe it will hold up on it...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I would run a Toy front and the D44 rear. The toy is the best choice you presented for the front. It's got the same 1.3" 30-spline shafts you would have if you ran out and bought a D44. While it's true that birfs are the definite weak spot, they aren't such a big deal in a zuk. Most of the hardcore guys in here on toy axles have popped a birf or two, at the most. If it becomes a problem, you can run longfields for $230, which is cheaper than a set of CTMs for a 44.

If you have a D44 for the back right now, then I would run either that or the Toy. If you don't own a Toy rearThe two are pretty much a wash in back. Same axleshafts (A D44 shaft slides into a toy carrier) and everything. You can build the D44 cheaper than the Toy axle (lockers and gears are cheaper). It depends how much you value having the diffs interchange - if you don't have any interest in carrying a third member that fits either end, I'd go D44.

Something else to consider, though - width. I have a buddy running the same dana axles you have right now in his CJ5. They are NARROW. Maybe not Zuk narrow, but still... they make my toy look wide. Even with 3-ish inch backspacing, his tires still rub on the fenderwells and springs. He really needs some 2"BS wheels.

Toy axles work well on zuks because it's like putting fullwidth axles on a jeep in terms of width, they are still relatively small and light, and they're plenty strong.

One last thing - lots of the guys who have swapped in a D44 on their IFS Toys have run 5.38 in the 44 and 5.29 in the Toy for years. If you do the math, that's about a 1% difference in gearing. You get more binding from turning in 4-low than you would from that... so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
billj said:

THAT´S prolly the greatest single advantage of the Toys. It´s a real PITA to set up Danas, laying on your stomach / back under the truck, using trial and error trying to get the fawking right shims for pinion depth and backlash...

However, in terms of after-market or junkyard replacement, it´s hard to beat Danas. At least here in Brasil, that it.......

bill, your mil.spec CJ5 isnt by any chance a Ford U-50???

http://www.pbase.com/abudschitz/ford

stock 4.89 dana44 shackle reversal and stock 4speed ... how's that for a beginning ...

saludos do chile, alfred

1 - 20 of 35 Posts