Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided i would start posting my build to show whats going on and how its working.
To start i have a 99 cherokee sport with a 5 speed all the bolt on crap one could want. But im sick of being the little one out on the trails with my buddies. The only problem its my dd and we have some picky cops north of chicago. So my plan is to finish my exo cage and put my new 76 f150 axles under there to make it better yet hopefully not having issues driving on the road. Any ideas or issues any one can see will help. I will try and update every couple days

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are some pics of what i am starting with. It's beat rolled over not a single straight panel on it the tree come out of nowhere

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my plan is no more lift and 37 or 38'' tires and I am willing to cut and do it all on the little budget i have so this is my new front almost done waiting on new wheel bearings and lock outs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Congratulations, you can construct sentences at a near 3rd grade level.

What's going to keep that "truss" from ripping off of the housing the first time you lock up the brakes with 38" tires?

Whats your plan to steer this 4 link front while daily nun killing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Backspacing is key

I have a narrowed '77 Ford HP44 in the front and an XJ Dana 44 in the rear with spacers. I only narrowed it a few inches and put TJ flairs on.

Friend has same axle that is not narrowed and runs about 1/1/2 inch less backspacing than I do and his width is just slightly wider than mine.

With the lock out hubs it runs better as a daily driver that 30 did. I wheel on 36 TSLs and had 35 BFGs as DD tire and it works fine.

Mileage sucks, I have 4:56 gears so it downshfts a fair amount.

Big question is what are your lift/ fender coverage laws in Illinoisb?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i now have pics of the full width swap it isnt bad im running stock cj rims and the tires only moved out about two inches on each side and our laws have just gotten better they were rewritten with a ton of errors so i can get away with alot now but it was no more than two inches exposed out the side

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just did a hp44 and 9" swap into my xj im running 37-13.50s on 8" wide wheels with 4 inches of backspacing. I dont think its too wide. still a work in progress though. my plan is to drive it to and from the trails until the inspection runs out in May

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just drove it last nite for the first time since I did the swap this weekend way too much unplanned issues the steering is all heims and I do have a little dead spot but I can live with it until I get a high steer knuckle for pass side but I did mount the shocks off and now I have a 1.5 of uptravel I was going for 3.5 for more droop and front driveshaft had to be shortend and the rear extended I did have the right dom for the rear so that's good no vibes but not for the front so I think I will be getting a new one sooner then I thought I will have pics up tonight

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so after i stripped out the old axles i was able to get the full widths in after they were in ran into issues with my drive shafts front and inch to long and the rear three too short.. that sucked but i did have the right dom to sleeve and extend my woods rear shaft untill i can buy another worked great no vibes the front however was stock and i didnt have the right stuff so i did what i could and its not perfect but it will work for and emergency

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after setting it up and it is on the road my main things needed are a highsteer knuckle for the pass side and to relocate my trac bar higher the way the steering is ran now works but i dont like it the rear was simple i only needed to move the perches in half and inch on each side and i changed the way the shock mount to help with travel by running them on more of and angle from the tires towards each other and seems to ride great

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a narrowed '77 Ford HP44 in the front and an XJ Dana 44 in the rear with spacers. I only narrowed it a few inches and put TJ flairs on.

Friend has same axle that is not narrowed and runs about 1/1/2 inch less backspacing than I do and his width is just slightly wider than mine.
What was your final WMS measurement? What BS are your running on those wheels?

Any possibility you could measure from ball joint to ball joint? I have what is believed to be a '77 Ford HP44, but I got it as a bare housing so theres no good way to get measurements except the ball joints. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Any possibility you could measure from ball joint to ball joint? I have what is believed to be a '77 Ford HP44, but I got it as a bare housing so theres no good way to get measurements except the ball joints. Thanks!
wheel bs is 4 3/4. I will measure axle tomorow. if I don't post by Sunday remind me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Are you planning on narrowing the axle or just looking for what width it is

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you planning on narrowing the axle or just looking for what width it is
I'm not sure yet. I need to figure what the total width will be on it and go from there. While my Jeep isnt a DD, I'd like to keep it "legal" for the road and in PA that means having the tires mostly covered.

Ideally, I'd like to just keep it as is and run a deep back spaced wheel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts