Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Man Child
24,724 Posts
Lexus LX470 will get you everything except the MPG. It's a landcruiser under the skin and will run forever. Probably only going to get 15-16mpg though.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Lexus LX470 will get you everything except the MPG. It's a landcruiser under the skin and will run forever. Probably only going to get 15-16mpg though.
Ive got an XJ dude. Its got 265k and hasn't needed anything but everything :flipoff2:

Id like to get in the 20ish range though if Im buying something.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have a '16 SCREW with 3.5TT and it gets close to 20mpg if I'm not digging into the fun pedal. The back seat is huge and comfortable.

I don't know how far back you would have to go to get in the price range we're talking though - for a beater DD.
A little out of range but I do love those things.

awd sienna.
What year range?

A 60’s Rambler station wagon is just the ticket. You said you want something different, well here you go... Classic Rambler Station Wagons | Station Wagon Finder
You have good taste

"Nice, what kinda MPG does it get"
"All of them!"

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Did the older Pre 07 3.2/3.5 Odessys have transmission issues like the cars do?

If you're good with a minivan then get a minivan. If you want something safer and much nicer to ride in but will cost a little more to maintain get the Volvo XC90 with a 3.2 or T5

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Did the older Pre 07 3.2/3.5 Odessys have transmission issues like the cars do?

If you're good with a minivan then get a minivan. If you want something safer and much nicer to ride in but will cost a little more to maintain get the Volvo XC90 with a 3.2 or T5
yes.

and the pilots
all the same stuff.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A used Volvo? Ha.

Minivans are quite safe as well.

I know nothing of the mechanical changes from year to year on minivans, but they check all of your want/need boxes, especially with 3 kids.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
A used Volvo? Ha.
s.
I hear that quite a bit.

but I've got an 04 that was purchased 3 years and 40K ago in my driveway. It's never broken down or left us stranded, and it's been running 12PSI of boost (twice the factory tune) for the last two years.

my wife drives it daily. If she can't hurt it, no one with any mechanical sympathy can. She gives no fucks. Oh it's -10 and there's 12" of snow on the road? let me just fire it up and immediately hit 3 gears pulling out of the driveway in the snow. <- true story, watched her do it two weeks ago.

whiteblocks are solid. the aisin trans MAY become a problem, but they were fixed after 03, mostly. unless you neglect it, they are fine.

·
Damn kids
14,329 Posts
If you can find one, a first-gen (circa 1995-on) GM minivan:

- plastic body

- will take 3 car seats in the middle row plus two more out back.

- seats are individually removable and reconfigurable

- power sliding door

- bulletproof 3.8 GM fwd powertrain

- factory air shocks with self-leveling out back

- 22 mpg highway easy

Prolly cost like $2K, if that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you can find one, a first-gen (circa 1995-on) GM minivan:

- plastic body

- will take 3 car seats in the middle row plus two more out back.

- seats are individually removable and reconfigurable

- power sliding door

- bulletproof 3.8 GM fwd powertrain

- factory air shocks with self-leveling out back

- 22 mpg highway easy

Prolly cost like $2K, if that.
Hahaha this ^^^^

Or an older Honda Odyssey. I work in an auto repair shop, and these seem to be the most reliable mini-vans on the road. I've seen a few smoked transmissions, but I think it's been due to poor maintenance. The 3.5L V6 is solid. Just make sure the valves are adjusted. And try to stay away from 2006+, or whenever they started adding cylinder deactivation. Seems to shorten the engine life in a big way (unless you're good about checking the oil level).

Personally, I say forget fuel economy. There are more important things. I'd prefer a Tahoe or Suburban with 4x4 and a proper frame.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts