Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruisin down the road in my 97 F250 with the OBD 1 460 and she just dies at the light I am waiting at. Kinda sputters and dies. Tried to restart it and I would crank but not start. Waited a minute and it started up, but would not run for more than a minute. Got it to a party store and had it towed home. Started it up and it ran fine in the driveway, but I am afraid to drive it anywhere to try and have the codes pulled. Any ideas? The battery indicator came on, and never has before, I just put a new redtop in it, and the truck cranks hard, so I know th battery is good, think the cables from the battery to the rest of the electrical system are going? I hate these kind of bugs...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Tested the Alt yet?Also could be a crank position sensor other than that go check all the grounds and the batter lines

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
97 EFI SD 460 has a crank pos sensor? I didn't think it did, where it at?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
97 should be obd II, was the motor swapped in? The cool down and restart is real common of a failing ign module, but wont usually sputter and die, most die like the key is turned back. You could have a weak fuel pump, do you have access to a fuel pressure tester?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Being a non-cali 97, that truck will be OBD-1 speed density. No crank position sensor.

You can pull the codes out of it with a paper clip... See here: http://www.broncodata.com/tech/codes.htm

To me, it sounds like it might be a bad ignition module.

·
Registered
923 Posts
just like being said above its more than likely a bad ign module. happens with my ranger alot.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove it work today and it was o.k. I think I will go with the above recommendations and get a new ign module, that and prolly a fuel filter while I am at it.

It is OBD 1, as it has the diag connector under hood, none in the cab.

·
Registered
38 Posts
u cant use a paper clip

use a paper clip on it you can use a volt meter to read the codes its a little strange to describe but u can get a small ford code reader form any parts stores it reads the codes out in led flashs under the hood at the plug but if the vehicle doesnt have a service engine light on while running there wont be anything for it to read and you are sure there isnt a plug in under the drivers side dash board 1996 all vehicles by states requirments should be obd2 drive it to any autozone or advance they offer free diagnostics and could check out your charging system at no charge just an idea good luck to yah

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the codes read before at autozone (months ago for something different) and the autozone turd was going on and on about all post 96 vehicles having OBD II blah blah blah. So I took the reader from him, used the included OBD I cable and got the codes from under the hood myself. Just because the federal gov says something has to be, doesn't means the OEMs don't get around it sometimes. I would have gone to autozone and done the same thing, but didn't want it to die in the middle of a busy intersection again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts