Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my tacoma going and everything seemed good until i took it out on the high way. the moment i easeup on the gas or when there is no load on the drive train the truck starts to make this loud chattering sound. originally i thought it was thw transfercase because you can feel it in the shifters but itook the case apart and all was good. the sound is almost identical to the sound i have heard from some sloppy dual case setups and also the same noise from a buddies truck that we learned was a very worn transfercase imput. the specs on the tacoma are as follows:
stock 99 two wheel drive tranny to divorced toy 4.7 transfercase , the gears in the transfercase are new as with most of the bearings. as for the output of the tranny and the imput of the transfercase they are pretty much on the same plane up and down and also side to side. the flanges are within a degree of themselves and the intermediate drive shaft is about 9 inches long. any imput?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Start with the basics. I tore apart my dual case when it was clunking, it finally eneded up being a bad c.v joint.

Check u-joints first as they are easy to check. Remove rear drive shaft and go take a ride with it, it will narrow down the possibilities...While it is removed check the c.v if you have one. Next step maybe a bad diff or bearings.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Whats the angle on your pinion flange of the rear axle in comparison with the t-case output? If these angles aren't correct in retrospect with the type of driveshaft components your using,it'll cause this noise your talking about. Ask me how I know.

Do you have it pointed at the t-case? Do you have a C.V. rear shaft? Technically speaking,if your rear pinion is pointing at the t-case,you have to run a CV shaft. If your not running a CV shaft both outputs have to be on the same plain. If I was a bettin man,I'd say you either need a cv shaft or need to turn your pinion down.

·
Registered
763 Posts
so you guys think its my rear shaft hmmm. i realized when i got it done that i had the rear angles set up for a cv and well for some reason i did not put one in. so right now i have the rear end pointed at the transfercase but no double cardon joint. why would i feel the vibration in the intermediate shaft though? looks like i am pulling out the rear driveshaft and taking it for a drive! thanks guys.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
If is just a clattering noise then its probably not the driveshaft(s).

But if its a clattering noise and a vibration then it COULD be the driveshafts.

But yeah start with the the basics. remove the dirvelines one at a time and inspect the joints and go for a test drive. and record your tests with pushing cluth in a putting different cases in neutral and such....

Another test is put the vehicle on jackstand and run it up through the gears an lisen.

I just had a similar Clatter when I was not accelerating or decelerating, just coasting and it was my traction bar. just the slop in the heims and the slip and twist bar was make some really bad sounds. I took it off an the sounds when away. Now I know its not a fatal rattle but its real anoying until I fugre out a way to calm it down. So that is just a thought if you have somthing like that on your truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your driveshafts and make sure that you still have all of the bolts attached. My bet is that you lost one or more somewhere.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TSLBOGGGER said:
i realized when i got it done that i had the rear angles set up for a cv and well for some reason i did not put one in. so right now i have the rear end pointed at the transfercase but no double cardon joint. why would i feel the vibration in the intermediate shaft though? looks like i am pulling out the rear driveshaft and taking it for a drive! thanks guys.
I'm still bettin it's your shaft. The noise sounds as if the shifters are rattling and the t-case is coming apart. I know excatly what your hearing. Going down the road with your foot in the gas theres no noise,as soon as you let off the gas it goes nuts with the noise. The faster your going the worse it gets. If it's making the noise and you push the clutch lever in,it goes away.

I had mine set up for a CV shaft and ran a regular shaft,got this horriable noise. Got some shims to play with,installed them as a temporary deal to see if that was my problem. As soon as I drove it there was no more noise.

I understand what these other guys are sayin,it could very well be something else. I swear though,it sounds just like what mine did. I'd get some shims,use them to match the plains on your yokes and try and drive it. I wouldn't go far and/or leave the shims in there,you'll at least be able to see if thats the problem. After you drop the pinion down with shims or permanant,if the angle is real steep,I'd say it'll have a little vibe reguardless. The best probly would be to take the shims back out and install a CV.

·
Registered
763 Posts
raptorman i think you are on to something hear.it makes this god awful noise under de acceleration,no load, if i am driving and i push in the clutch, when i try to shift, also when i am trying to shift at higher speeds the tranny will usually grind, and yes the faster i go the worst it gets. i discovered something today... i put shocks on the rear and it got slightly better. i also noticed that with the truck in neutral i have a little slop up and down on the rear output of the transfercase flange. how do i get rid of this? and yes the nut is torqued to about 150lbs. i would guess.
thanx guys.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TSLBOGGGER said:
raptorman i think you are on to something hear.it makes this god awful noise under de acceleration,no load, if i am driving and i push in the clutch, when i try to shift, also when i am trying to shift at higher speeds the tranny will usually grind, and yes the faster i go the worst it gets. i discovered something today... i put shocks on the rear and it got slightly better. i also noticed that with the truck in neutral i have a little slop up and down on the rear output of the transfercase flange. how do i get rid of this? and yes the nut is torqued to about 150lbs. i would guess.
thanx guys.
The tranny grinding at higher speeds during a shift has NOTHING to do with the shaft. Putting shocks on the rear will also do nothing for having the wrong type of driveshaft.The little up and down slop on the output,how much is a little to you? I'd say they all move a little. Are you talking .00002" or 1/4",both of those measurements can be concidered little. The up and down could be worn bearings or something,I don't know what to tell ya on that. Now that you spill the beans with all these different things,you've got more than one problem. I'd say you need to fix your shaft up right first. The grinding could be a million things in the tranny,could be worn syncro's. I don't know how shocks could help a grinding vibration coming from the tranny.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
The rear output flange by design has quite a bit of slop in it 'up and down' when its fully assembled. .010-.015" is what I think mine is around and Marlin said that was okay and within specs when I thought mine was a problem.....

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I have to agree, sounds like a rear driveshaft. Make sure the joints are not out of phase...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
crash said:
Make sure the joints are not out of phase...

I'm glad you brought that up,that never even crossed my mind. Years ago,when I had my old Scout II for a rig,I accedentally did that reinstalling my shaft after new u-joints were installed. It didn't take long for me to figure out that something wasn't right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same problem on my (94 4Runner) automatic, if I have pos pressure on it or take the over drive off and have it decel in 4th it goes away, I took off the rear drive shaft and locked the front threw it in 4wd and had fun trying not to hit parked cars on my street when i let off the gas haha but the noise was 90% gone, my pinion is facing my TC so im thinking my upper ujoint, but might as well replace both :) also as a spare im thinking of making a square driveshaft, dont u just love pressing berrings in the wilderness?!?!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same issue 85 extra cab. I took my bed off to fab a flat bed and didnt quite get it done so i drove to work for a week with no bed. And with the weight of the bed gone it made my DL angle shitty ruined 2 u joints. Same exact symptons as yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts