Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specs:
89 bronco
kingpin 60 front from an f350
stock f350 leafs
shackle reversal
no trac bar
stock f350 steering and stock bronco pitman arm

every once in a while, when driving over really rough roads ie fire road type trails i get a death wobble in the front end. it "feels" like it is coming from the right side of the rig and that TRE is the one that looked the worst out of all the TREs. i don't really see myself needing a trac bar because i know 1/2 a dozen guys running the exact same swap as me who don't get any death wobble.

the wheel bearings are fine, i just rebuilt the kingpins a month ago; where else should i be looking? shackle/spring eye bolts too loose? could a bad tie rod end cause this?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Maybe I'm too hammered to read your post correctly but I don't see what size tire you are running. Many of us with big tires need to add more preload onto the kp spring with a fender washer or two. Can make all the difference between dw vs. none. If your tres need replacing, then do it. That in itself can cause the dw. You are correct in that you have no need of a trac bar.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Proeliator said:
Maybe I'm too hammered to read your post correctly but I don't see what size tire you are running. Many of us with big tires need to add more preload onto the kp spring with a fender washer or two. Can make all the difference between dw vs. none. If your tres need replacing, then do it. That in itself can cause the dw. You are correct in that you have no need of a trac bar.
i'm only running 35s and i threw in a fender washer on either side when i rebuilt the KPs just to be safe. i guess i'll be looking into the TREs then. thanks for the help.

mike: i'm going hydro assist real soon, so i don't see the need to buy a stabilizer. besides, i don't really want to bandaid something that could be a major issue.

·
Premium Member
19,779 Posts
needs more shims

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Kingpin spring doenst have enough of a spring rate to keep it all tight when you increase tire size. Add shims or get a higher rate spring if one even exists.

Well documented at Coloradok5.com

·
Registered
639 Posts
Search for Death wobble fixes, I had to add 3/4" of shims to my kingpins to make the DW go away. Keep adding till it goes away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts