Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'96 XJ 4.0 here. Heading down the road at a consistent 60 mph yesterday in 55F deg weather and my engine temp gauge on the dash stayed b/t 165-175 only, so it appears my thermostat is stuck open. Not the first time I've seen it dip that low after fully warming up. I believe it was a common part out of O'Reilly's maybe.

What's a decent quality and not too high priced thermostat I could get for my engine that won't be failing anytime soon?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just got some advice that Stant can be hit and miss so I guess I'll go with OEM / mopar. Is there a cheaper place on the net somewhere that handles these higher quality parts? Is my local dealer the only place I'm likely to find it close by?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My local auto parts store always had the stant t-stats in stock so those are what I always ran. Only problem I ever had was cracking the housing installing a new t-stat, somehow the t-stat fell down and I tightened the bolts on it and cracked the housing... I guess that's what I get trying to change it in the dark in the middle of the winter... all because I didn't want to wait for the morning

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've def had stupid stuff like that happen before. They're show stoppers.

I'm in Lex KY and have most major autoparts stores here plus carquest's main hub for half the state. I'll have to give them a shout.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had good luck with the stant 195 in my old 4.2l, my current sbc 350 and the 4.0 in my xj and my brothers two xj's as well. Ac delco/mopar are actually motorad reboxed the same as autozone, advance, and oreilly auto parts. I've had bad luck with motorad..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts