Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some decisions to make - input is welcome. I just bought my 8th FJ40 (it's a 71), but unlike the prior 7 that I wheeled until someone offered me wayyyy too much money for them, this one is going to stick around....

a picture of the transfer case

if you'll notice, the cover is missing and what they did was "convert" it to 2wd. The rear housing is gone, internal gears are gone, brake, .... it's just a housing someone pressed a bearing into. I always thought this one was odd because the rear differential was in the middle (they're offset right) on all FJ40s. Someone put a toyota pickup axle in this... and emptied the front housing. I know it seems like I got screwed, but there's a huge contingent out there that thinks FJ40s should be restored - now I have carte blanche to ignore that.... so what to do? despite my love/hate relationship with birfields, there are good quality ones out there - so I'm seriously considering just refilling the front with good bits... cheap to do too, so that's not a huge deal.
Rear axle... if I put the FJ one back in, it's offset and it limits me to the FJ transfer case - there's good and bad to that (all gear, pto availability, generally bulletproof - against - I have to adapt a transmission to it, so that's $600). An Atlas II transfer case is a bit spendy, but once you subtract the street price of a transfer case ($1000), and the $600 for the adapter kit - I can buy a brand-new one for $2200... and it'll last longer than me, they are the best there is - however, none of them are right/right outputs.... so what do I do for a rear? I have a Ford 9" that would work, and parts, lockers, everything would be cheap.... or do I get a full floater like a dana 60 or corp 14 bolt?

the rest of the suspension goes like this: 3 link front, 4 link rear, coil overs front, coil springs and shocks rear. The motor will be the 400, my brain says put a 4L80e in it, my heart says NV4500... But I also have a NV3550 (Aisin AX15) .... that one could win out because it's the best of all things - it's what I have.... we'll see which wins.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
From you description of what you have to work with, I would scrap all the Toyota drivetrain and go with the one ton drive train. I have a '71 FJ40 with a stock F motor and I can break rear axles (FJ60 full float with Poly Performance axles). The original Longs in front are bullet proof, but for what it would cost you to make the '71 front axle work, you could have a Dana 60 front end...larger brakes, axles, housing etc. If I were you I would go with 14 bolt/Dana 60 combo, cheap and great parts availability. Just my $.02.
JB:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From you description of what you have to work with, I would scrap all the Toyota drivetrain and go with the one ton drive train. I have a '71 FJ40 with a stock F motor and I can break rear axles (FJ60 full float with Poly Performance axles). The original Longs in front are bullet proof, but for what it would cost you to make the '71 front axle work, you could have a Dana 60 front end...larger brakes, axles, housing etc. If I were you I would go with 14 bolt/Dana 60 combo, cheap and great parts availability. Just my $.02.
JB:D
I'm having trouble reconciling the weight that would add... but that is not disagreeing with you. I'll have to see what I can find - up here, front GM, 60s are not cheap... however, with that said, (since I haven't both the t-case yet) I could do a left-side drop and use a Ford 60... hmmmm

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
You are right, it would add some weight, but LC axles are not exactly the lightest axles around either. Plus it would put the weight where you want it...low to the ground, plus a small block chevy is 200lbs lighter than the original Toyota motor. After you add a winch/roll cage/side bars/spare tire rack/bumpers etc, weight keeps adding up. And last but not least...it's a FJ40 Land Cruiser, they are heavy to begin with!
JB

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did the 60, 14 bolt on my 40. When I priced up all the upgrade parts on my Toyota axles, it was a no brainer. I also like how low and stable it feels with the full width axles. I'm now in the middle of t case switching to match the centered rear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I kind of punted... I've got a 9" out of some ford truck (big bearing), I bought the top truss (yeah, I'm a checkbook guy) and I already have a rear brace. A friend has a 4.11 3rd member with a 28 spline (blech) trac-lock. For now, and I say for now because nothing stays the same - I'm going with the stock axle (I found one for $150) in the front, and a 9" inch in the rear. I figure I'll spend my money on the 3-link/4-link suspension. I'll probably go with a turbo 400/205 transfer case for now (again, cheap).... the plan would then be, once it's running, upgrade as I have money... first up would be a 4L80e, then an Atlas transfer case.... next the axles, then EFI or a LS motor... I figure this way I'll meet my goal of getting to the NW Overland Rally next year in the 40 rather than my H3 (which I do love, but open top... I know, preaching to the choir)... with that said, y'all have convinced me that should be my end-game (60s)

the other issue with a rear 14 bolt is it hangs pretty low, and most of my wheeling is snow and some mud... though with that said, my 83 4x4 chev 3/4 truck, 4" lift, is as capable as the H3 was with its 33s... is there ever such a thing as a perfect build? maybe it's why I have 5 4x4s for my wife and I... lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious,
Is the 9" ford a 5 lug axle?
JB
P.S. You got me beat on 4x4's! I have 3, 1 FJ40 & 2 4runners!
not a race, I just tend to be the final destination for cars.... there's a bunch of cars too

a picture from awhile ago

Those are just the running vehicles... I also have the '40, a 79 Fiat Spider with a twin-turbo Cadillac motor, and a 50 Buick Sedanet with a twin turbo 455 (now 430) motor.... some people have kids, I have cars...:smokin:

5 lug. The friend with the 4.11 gear'd 3rd member is waffling - which means I'll simply buy a 31 spline 3rd member and get new axles with the correct lug pattern. More expensive, certainly, however, I won't have to travel that road again.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Your Right,
Not a race, and I do have 2 wonderful kids...1 with a year left to go in college and one that just started college. I now know how to cook Mac & cheese 8 different ways!
JB:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your Right,
Not a race, and I do have 2 wonderful kids...1 with a year left to go in college and one that just started college. I now know how to cook Mac & cheese 8 different ways!
JB:)
I only need one way, with bacon :D

still, that's an amazing accomplishment to have both your kids in college. by law they have to go to high school, by being a good parent will they want to go to college.
Congrats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts