Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 F350, power stroke, auto, DRW, etc. is no longer my daily driver and will be parked to assume tow rig status.

What are tips to ensure this doesn't rot away?

Would driving it an hour a month at highway speed and using a battery maintainer for 10 minutes a day (sprinkler timer) be enough to prevent problems?

·
Registered
665 Posts
When my 97 was parked, I would just drive it to work every Friday.
+1
Once a week to work, that way when somethings going to need repair, you'll know about it before you need the truck.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My 2001 F350, power stroke, auto, DRW, etc. is no longer my daily driver and will be parked to assume tow rig status.

What are tips to ensure this doesn't rot away?

Would driving it an hour a month at highway speed and using a battery maintainer for 10 minutes a day (sprinkler timer) be enough to prevent problems?
Driving it once a month you shouldn't need a battery maintainer. I would bump it to twice a month though just to keep it happy.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If my truck sets more than a couple weeks I'll start it up and let it run 15 minutes or so. The only time it really sets that long is in the winter to keep the salt of it unless I really need a 4x4. Usually I'll just take it when I need to go somewhere every couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Like its been said above, drive it once a week to work . That should keep everything working together and lubed. Once a week should also keep the critters from thinking its a hotel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Check the air box monthly, squirrels and mice like to make a home there, especially once the weather starts to cool down. Keep an eye on the tires for signs of checking or leaking, put in a biocide treatment in the fuel to keep algae from growing.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Regarding the battery maintainer you don't put it on a timer. It knows when it needs to charge the battery and does so automatically.

As long as not one of those $10 jobs from Harbor freight anyhow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hmm, I have had a battery sitting on one of those for over a year now (trailer winch battery, broke the winch)...maybe i should go see if it's still any good or if I'm just wasting electricity.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
hmm, I have had a battery sitting on one of those for over a year now (trailer winch battery, broke the winch)...maybe i should go see if it's still any good or if I'm just wasting electricity.
hopefully ours was just an isolated one.

but it does go to show that you should check on your shit every once in a while.

I just filled that exide back up with DI water and put it on a charger, hopefully it comes back. build date on the battery was aug '13 :(

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
My F350 gets the same treatment listed above. Drive it to work every friday, or when I need to pick up stuff that doesn't fit in my Focus. I drive it less in the winter to keep the salt off it unless I need 4x4.

Don't bother with a maintainer. I have yet to find one that actually stops charging the battery when they say they'll "float". They still put just a tiny amount of charge into the battery, which will kill it in a matter of months. I worked for interstate when I was in college. One of our big sellers was Group 29 deep cycle marine batteries used for backup sump pumps. First time a customer lugged one in for replacement, I went to pick it up off the floor. Damn near fell over backwards because it was so light. Battery maintainer slowly boiled off the electrolyte and it wasn't noticed until they needed the backup sump pump. Then the shit hits the fan.

Every time one would come in it was the same story. Do you leave your maintainer plugged in 24/7? Yes? Stop doing that. There's no warranty on new batteries that come in mostly empty. Once a month, hook it up until the charger says charged, then unhook it.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
My F350 gets the same treatment listed above. Drive it to work every friday, or when I need to pick up stuff that doesn't fit in my Focus. I drive it less in the winter to keep the salt off it unless I need 4x4.

Don't bother with a maintainer. I have yet to find one that actually stops charging the battery when they say they'll "float". They still put just a tiny amount of charge into the battery, which will kill it in a matter of months. I worked for interstate when I was in college. One of our big sellers was Group 29 deep cycle marine batteries used for backup sump pumps. First time a customer lugged one in for replacement, I went to pick it up off the floor. Damn near fell over backwards because it was so light. Battery maintainer slowly boiled off the electrolyte and it wasn't noticed until they needed the backup sump pump. Then the shit hits the fan.

Every time one would come in it was the same story. Do you leave your maintainer plugged in 24/7? Yes? Stop doing that. There's no warranty on new batteries that come in mostly empty. Once a month, hook it up until the charger says charged, then unhook it.
where the fuck were you last fall?
:laughing:

that is seriously identical to this one. We won't bother attempting to warranty it.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I try to drive mine a minimum of once or twice a month even if I don't "need" to at all, even if it's just to Home Depot (10ish miles?), sometimes just because the kids want to ride in the red truck. I haven't bothered with a battery maintainer, haven't needed to, started up for 10-15 minutes once a month seems to be plenty to keep things happy. I do plug it in 2-3 hours before I need to start it in the wintertime. Change oil once a year, usually in the fall. Other stuff gets addressed as it shows up (brakes, starter, whatever) that way, and usually doesn't show up as inconveniently, at least not to "can't use the truck for XYZ" levels, that way. Did have the throwout bearing fail and nearly strand me, but I can match revs pretty well. :laughing:

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
When I have a wheeling rig to tow, I put about 7000 miles a year on my tow rig. The last two years, I haven't had anything to wheel and put half as many miles on it. It doesn't leave the driveway during road salt season.

I do an oil change once a year, usually in November before I put it away for the winter. I also use diesel-kleen or whatever it's called, and add a little extra to prevent gelling in the winter. I live in a complex so there's no outlets close enough to plug in the block heater. In the winter I'll start it once a month and let it run 30-40 minutes. During non-salt months ill drive it two or three times a month.

I'm probably going to replace my fuel filter and water separator (FASS) this fall because I haven't done it since 2009 after I stopped driving it daily. Sounds like a long time but thats only been about 30,000 miles.

Best thing I ever got for my truck was something else to drive every day :flipoff2: . I seriously didn't know how much wear and tear I was doing using it as a commuter in stop and go traffic day in and day out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts