·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to reload it this evening when I get home.

·
Registered
854 Posts
not trying to critisize but is this what is done by you regularly? seems that with all the talkin and mainly the partially skinning anyways and not seeing part 3 you could have been done skinning it already.... how much faster is this method???

awaiting part 3, I really am interested

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part 3 is now up in the third post.
The orginal download failed last night, so I just did it again.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Your wife is much nicer than mine. If I did that off the back of the house I would be sleeping in the shop:laughing:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
We've done this a couple times with elk if there isn't a good spot to hang it to skin it. We tie one end to the pickup bumper, the other to the quad then position a tarp underneath so when it comes back down it stays clean.

Works ok but I will take the hanging and skinning with a knife method over this but each have their benefits. Just make damn sure what you're securing the head to isn't going to break.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
While I'll probably never skin a deer with an ATV I really appreciate these videos because now that I've heard your voice I really want to take a road trip to WV and hang out. :laughing: I'm pretty sure we would get along really well.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i wonder if this works on pigs :evil:
It would be hard to hang a hog by its head because it is smaller than their neck. We hang hogs by the leaders in their hind feet to skin.

I don't know if you could skin them like that or not, I suspect it would take more than ATV to rip the hide off.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
we've skinned deer similar to this. hang them be the back legs, trim the skin to the hind quarter, then put a golf ball under the skin, tie it off to the 4wheeler and pull it off to the neck.sometimes, takes a cut down the belly

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Your wife is much nicer than mine. If I did that off the back of the house I would be sleeping in the shop:laughing:
Do you know how many deer I have quartered and brought into the kitchen table to butcher?
When it is cold or dark, I bring them into the house to butcher.

She gets testy when I boil skulls on the stove, and when I clean my muzzleloaders. Both because it stinks up the house.

because now that I've heard your voice I really want to take a road trip to WV and hang out. :laughing: I'm pretty sure we would get along really well.
A nasally sounding hillbilly. The funny part is that I do my best to repress my hillbilly accent, which makes me more nasal.

We use ta singin ow words up heyeer.
Round heyeer, everything has two syllables.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we've skinned deer similar to this. hang them be the back legs, trim the skin to the hind quarter, then put a golf ball under the skin, tie it off to the 4wheeler and pull it off to the neck.sometimes, takes a cut down the belly
I skin deer from the head down. Which ever end you start on gets hair on the meat. This method gets ZERO hair on the backstraps or hams. The only hair on any meat is the front of the neck and brisket.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is the way that I've always done it. I always do it on the ground though, tie the head (antlers, no does killed out here) to a bumper or tree, and use the golf ball trick described above. It isn't necessarily any faster than skinning them by hand, but it is a lot cleaner. I didn't get pics, but this year I skinned one like that with my mule (the four legged kind). It was badass :D

One thing though, the heads have a tendancy to separate from the body if the neck was shot. We just peel the front legs off before we start pulling, and it seems to keep that from happening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts