Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 4M40 engine/trans swap. The question I have is will the engine from a Delica swap into a montero? The main reasons being engine component location and or different motor mounts. If its the same as a montero, it will be perfect!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that this project will include a SAS as well, Toyota 80 series e-locker axles front and rear.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I dig the Delicas and I want one!
I see them down here all the time with Canadian plates and there is one around here with WA plates.

I think you should totally try it out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Delica is super cool! I have seen the donor vehicle and if it wasn't in a wreck I would have liked to have bought the whole thing. But I am happy with the heart transplant only, as my 3.0L V6 is getting tired and needs to replaced. I only have 32" tires on my Montero and Yugo's are whizzing past me on the highway!

Oh and another question, are do all the 4M40 engines run 24v or are some 12v systems?
The Delica is 24v and my Montero is 12v. Is this going to be a problem with interior/exterior lighting and accessories? Or will it only affect power/drivetrain?

The engine when I first got it

Came with transmission and tranfer case

·
Registered
340 Posts
shouldn't be an issue, the only thing you need to run the 4M40 is the fuel cutoff solenoid so you might need to get a 12v solenoid and after that it's all gravy. not so sure on the gen 1 but on the gen 2 you an swap the 4m40 right in by reversing the transmission crossmember and at that point all the motor mounts and trans mount line up where they need to be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put a Delica 4M40 in my 94 Pajero/Montero - but that already had a 4M40 in it, there are a few things on the Delica 4M40 that are different - the oil dip stick is on the front on the Delica but would be on the right side (from the front) on the Montero the manifolds and the pipe work from the turbo are different but I guess if you use the Delica manifolds you won't get a problem other than re-piping the exhaust . The engine mounts are going to be different as well but you might be able to use your existing ones, also the sump is different.

When Mitsubishi fitted the 4M40 set up in the Gen2 Montero they had to lift the body to get them in so you'll need a minimum of a 2 inch body lift kit as well.

Lastly the Delica came standard as a 12 volt system but they did have two 12 volt batteries as does the Gen 2 Montero's with a 4M40 engine, but they are wired in parallel - that is the neutral terminals on both batteries are strapped to the body earth - the 2 batteries are to supply extra starting current on cold days

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Xpajun for clearing that up for me! It is very helpful information.
I had the supplier send me the complete in car wire harness as well so if I need any extra plugs or wire I will have it.

Mr. Sneakyninja, I would definitely like to see more photos and get more detailed info on your D20/NP231 doubler setup. I would like to do the same except with the D300. Any and all help would be appreciated!

I have the front axle apart and 1 of my birf's is grooved and worn so I will have to replace it. The axles are fine which is good as I was worried of twisted splines. Will get to the rear axle soon enough.
I will post pictures soon.

Adrian.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have got some work done on cleaning up the front axle. I cut all the stock link and spring brackets off as I am planning to 3link the front. I have all the parts, i just have to jig them up and weld them on. Waiting on the waterjet shop to finish my link brackets.
I have also started to some cleanup work on the engine as well. Waiting to finish cleaning some parts and for replacement gaskets to come.

Adrian.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE on engine

I ended up rebuilding the motor which took much longer than I thought and cost quite a bit more as well due to parts availability. I had to source most of the parts from the UK and Austrailia. The logistics were a pain but I managed to get it all done. I was able to perform test start on the engine stand it souded and ran extremely smooth! In the stand it did not jump, jerk, twist, or torque when crank start or shut down, I was impressed at how smooth it was! I of course had the engine crane and chain attached just in case but very loose.

I only took a few photos during the process, I wish I would have taken more but I just wanted it done.

the engine internally was in very good shape, no sludge, piston bores were smooth no scoring, and the engine oil even looked good for being used. The best part was that there were NO metal shavings or flakes on the magnetic oil pan plug or in the pan itself.

I purchaced a remanufactured turbo as it was cheaper than to rebuild it myself.
The completely rebuilt with valve job and head surfacing even though I have read that it is not recommended due to the ceramic combustion chambers and locating/locking dowels. The maching shop did a great job and when I got it back it really was a thing of beauty, sorry no photos of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE on front axle SAS

I have been busy with almost 2yrs. worth of things and finally got some time and money to continue. I have the front axle nearly finished. The only thing I have to finish welding is the trackbar mount, final fitment and welding of steering knuckle stops, and paint the housing. I also decided to change the front suspension to a 4link instead of 3link since I do plan on daily driving the Montero. Adding another link in the front would not cost me much more than I have already invested or decrease the performance much either, doing so will increase the safety factor for my passengers as well as other drivers on the road, well this is my logic anyways.

a little rust from sitting but not bad

I ended up up not making my own mounts. The water jet guy I was going to use ended up closing shop which was disappointing but good in another way because I ended up saving time and money with Poly Perfomance and Artec link mounts. Original 3link configuration.

Setting up 4th link tabs

All welded

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE front differential rebuild

Even though the axles were in good shape, and by good I mean not bent and functioning, they were pulled from a high mileage land cruiser so assuming the previous owner like most people do not service their cars let alone 4x4/offroad trucks and SUV's on a regular basis I chose to rebuild the 3rd completely. All new Bearing and seals, I chose to retain the stock 4:10 gears because I plan to run 33" tires and then possibly move up to 35's later. But I must say the main reason for not re-gearing was that I just didn't have the money for gears, bearing,seals, and other non reusable service parts F&R and I still want to keep it reliable and efficient for daily street use.

My makeshift 3rd jig. The gloves were so I wouldn't rip a huge hole into "another" pair of good work pants.

Disassembled, everything was in good shape and no chipped or broken teeth on the ring or pinion

makeshift jig didn't last long

Reassembled, CBPL and backlash set.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Awesome work, keep it up and keep posting! The 4M40 is a solid motor, just watch your exhaust gas temps (EGT) when towing loads. They were renowned for blowing head-gaskets here in South Africa in the various vehicles they came in :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you MitsuZA,

My wife and I just came back from ZA! We very recently got married and spent our Honeymoon there. It was amazing and great time! Went to Cape Town, Johannesburg, Entabeni, camped in Chobe, Victoria Falls, Livingston, and back home. During the trip I kept thinking about trying to import a triton or Pajero! They were all over! We are definitely going back just do not know when, it's quite hard on the wallet just to get there.
I have read your post and like what you have done with your Pajero, I'm headed in the same direction as yours building it into a jack of all trades: camping/adventure rig.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Awesome, I lived in Cape Town for a good 20years, moved to Johannesburg a few years ago. In September we're doing a 5 day trip back to Botswana's southern parks, can't wait :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, I lived in Cape Town for a good 20years, moved to Johannesburg a few years ago. In September we're doing a 5 day trip back to Botswana's southern parks, can't wait :)
WOW, That sounds great! I really enjoyed Cape Town because it is very similar to where I live terrain and climate wise. Next time we go we plan on hiring a truck or maybe your Pajero :smokin::D???
HAHA, I noticed there were quite a few of the PX Ford Rangers with maggiolina columbus tents mounted for hire. We will see. I have to finish this project before I can do anything else!
Back to the project:

Since I have chosen to use the 80 series axles they are offset and passenger drop for both front and rear. The stock transfercase and the diesel counterpart are driver side drop with the rear output in the center. I do not want to have rear drive line vibrations and or have it angled to the passenger side because it seams like a waste of good space for something else.
I noticed both the Delica L400 and Land Cruiser transmissions are both built by Aisin-Warner that I might be able to swap parts easily of better yet that I might just be able to swap the whole thing. After measuring and close visual inspection I might just be able to swap and bolt it up, however making it shift/controlling it is another problem I'm going to have to face very soon.

Delica L400 transmission

30-40LE

Toyota LC A343f transmission

Difference of bellhousings: Toyota LC left, Delica L400 right

Toyota TC right, L400 left

When everything is bolted up it may not shift but at least the drive shafts will line up :)
Now to do some digging on the inter webs to see if I need a TCM (transmission control module) and if I do need one hopefully they are stand alone units. When I ordered the 4M40 engine/trans combo they gave me the option of cumputer controlled or mechanical no electronics. I decided mechanical, so hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I laughed :)

I am not going to use a dana 300. I am going to attempt to mate the Toyota LC transmission (A343F) and transfercase (HF2A which is attached) as a complete unit. I decided to go this route because of the offset differentials, The center differential is also an e-locker so in the end I will be able to lock front, center, and rear differentials. I believe going this route will also convert the Montero to AWD unless I get free spinning front hubs instead of the drive flanges or if I get the Slee part time 4wd kit which is expensive. I will see. The hard part is going to be wiring it in or getting a control module for it to shift, this is what I'm looking into now.

Adrian.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts