Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Transmission update

I did some searching around and looks like both the L400 (A340E) and Landcruiser (A343F) transmissions are electronically controlled and there is no bypassing that. The Toyota LC trans controller is integrated into the main ECU and would be very hard for me to try to get to work with my engine and harness, especially since electrical is not one of my strengths.
However the Delica L400 did have a stand alone TCM to control the transmission. I searched on ebay and found the TCM from a JDM 96' L400 which should plug right into the harness I got with the engine.
The idea is that the computer will control the A343F as it would the A340E and the only other things I would have to do is wire in the switches and controller for the e-lockers, those parts are on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did some searching around and looks like both the L400 (A340E) and Landcruiser (A343F) transmissions are electronically controlled and there is no bypassing that.
There is no bypassing the electronic control but there are several aftermarket manual shift controllers out there.

I would think that the other delica tcu would control the a343f, being in the same family of transmissions as the a340, but i have no experience on the subject. I do run an a340 with a manual controller on my swap, and am pleased with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is no bypassing the electronic control but there are several aftermarket manual shift controllers out there.

I would think that the other delica tcu would control the a343f, being in the same family of transmissions as the a340, but i have no experience on the subject. I do run an a340 with a manual controller on my swap, and am pleased with it.
I'm going to first try the Delica TCU, but if that does not work then I am going to have to go with a stand alone manual controller.
I do know there are a few control systems out there but they can be quite expensive. Which manual controller did you go with?
I guess in the end if I go through all of this and end up with a project that cant shift it just might be worth it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got my manual shift controller from BrettM here on pirate, I think ~$100, but I don't think he's around anymore. R.DesJardin sells a few different models, PM him if your TCU doesn't work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got my manual shift controller from BrettM here on pirate, I think ~$100, but I don't think he's around anymore. R.DesJardin sells a few different models, PM him if your TCU doesn't work.
WOW:eek:
thats awesome! I was looking at the one from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. Theirs is pretty fancy with a programmable computer and I believe a manual torque converter lock up, linky here
The problem with that kit is the price! It has very nice features but a lot more than I want to spend on it. It's very nice to know there are other options out there. For my needs I really hope the Delica TCU works out.

Thanks,
Adrian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey mate, was reading through your build here, I have a Pajero here that has a sad 4m40 in it and I have got a 4m40 from a delica to swap into it.

I see that where the dip stick goes in the pajero is through the block and that hole has to be drilled on the delica block.
Do you know what size I need to drill, was going to try get hold of a reamer as well to suite as its only an o ring at the base of the dip stick that seals it up.

I too was thinking a solid axle swap up front with a Toyota Hilux setup as they are reasonably easy to get hold of in New Zealand but have to make the beast go first!!

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
for future reference: sorted the hole issue. drill down in the same spot with a 12mm drill bit then swap to a 10mm and finish the hole the rest of the way thorugh, maybe another 10 mm to go. going to a smaller diametre drill after the 12mm provides a shoulder the dipstick pipe to sit on. try and drill it the same angle. might even be easier from underneath with the sump off, should have the sump off anyway to remove any swarf.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the Info! Sorry to reply so late, I have been working removing the cab from the chassis and what a PAIN IN THE ASS it is when you don't have a crane! I manager to remove it with an engine crane/lift and high lift jack. It took me an entire day to do, not the most efficient way its what I had. I will post photos up soon.

I am going to need to do the dipstick modification as well as locate and buy a sump pan, oil pickup tube, and dipstick. I have found a few sources on ebay UK but they do not respond back, so I'm still looking for those parts. I have been busy with other things anyway, cleaning up the chassis and getting ready to fit and weld suspension mounts. I will be modifying the trans x-member soon as well so I have plenty do before I need to worry about drilling the dipstick hole. Sorry I was not able provide any helpful information, but am glad you got it done.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts