Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Need your opinions on this one.
I’ve been considering a change in the flex department lately. I’ve had my rig for only a short time and quickly realized that she don’t flex like a 12 year old. I’ve been tossing around a few ideas and can’t really come up with a game plan. My long-term goal is SO 1 tons and 38’s with roughly 100-105 inch wheelbase. I’m currently SU w/4” SkyJacker springs and 1 ½” or 2” longer shackles. Built 1 tons are a ways down the road right now although I may have a line on a 60/14 FR combo for around $500.
My dilemma here is that I’ve had her for a very short time and she does very well minus the “flex” thing so I’m not to keen on a complete suspension revamp. I’ve thought about a quick “kit type” SR and SO, but am unsure what to do about springs. I sure as hell don’t want an SO with 4” lift springs do I? Could I simply pull springs from the packs I have or would that be even more retarded? Will a SR alone help flex? Should I just wheel what I have today until I get everything together for the SO 1-ton, 38”, WB-lengthening all in one shot?

Here’s the other kicker, I need tires pretty bad right now and can’t decide if I should get 5 new 35” MTR’s right now and run them until I do the swap. Or try to find a decent used set of 4 or 5 35” whatevers to get me by.

I’m so confused please help guide me!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Flex is over rated.

Lockers will help you in the lack of flex department. I say lock that fawker and save your $$$ for the conversion (you're gonna need every spare penny you can find)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I agree, I hated my SU setup until I locked the front and rear, now it wheels like a new vehicle.

I plan on a SO as soon as I have the resources.

BTW, whats the best place to find good used FJ-55 rear springs and FJ-40 front springs (Both stock)?:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
What?

GloNDark said:
Flex is over rated.
I COMPLETELY disagree! Both are equally important (more emphasis on lockin' it up though) But thinking of cost efectiveness, you can achieve both at a relatively low cost.
Especially dealing w/ D60's or 14bolt... spool/weld (with the $ saved there, put rear discs on & get rid of that big ass drum!)Articulation? Sure SR is always the way to go, but that's the front.
For better flex, you better emphasize on the rear... Quarter Elliptic? VERY effective/inexpensive... OR even more simple, LONGER leaf springs (rear) I've seen those Z71 rear springs flex pretty damn well!
PERFECT EXAMPLE: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118635&highlight=RTI
Scroll down to see mini truck w/ no flex almost roll (sure it's on a RTI ramp, but the same goes for on the trail) You may not need as much flex as the lime green 45(quarter-elliptic-rear), but you do need some!
DO BOTH!
D60/14 COMBO...$500? GREAT DEAL!
4" springs w/SO? TOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUCH
Just swap the axles now to prevent any more broken birfields:D

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
GloNDark said:
Flex is over rated.

Coming from double shackle boy?????

:flipoff2:

With 32" tires, a shackle lift, SU, lockers and an SM420 I ran the rubicon without any need for a tug. I actually did a lot better than a couple of friends with rear lockers, SO, 35's and V8's.

Now of course I consider that my excellent driving is what made most of the difference :D. But lockers are amazing..

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Jason M said:

Coming from double shackle boy?????

:flipoff2:

With 32" tires, a shackle lift, SU, lockers and an SM420 I ran the rubicon without any need for a tug. I actually did a lot better than a couple of friends with rear lockers, SO, 35's and V8's.

Now of course I consider that my excellent driving is what made most of the difference :D. But lockers are amazing..
Yeah double shackle boy. BUT!! I ran lockers, SM420 and a ton of other mods before I had the $$ to do the full width conversion.

I am not saying flex is un-important. Just that if he is gonna save his money and do the conversion right, lock it now and wheel the piss out of it. Then when he has all the parts, do the conversion.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
GloNDark said:

Yeah double shackle boy. BUT!! I ran lockers, SM420 and a ton of other mods before I had the $$ to do the full width conversion.

I am not saying flex is un-important. Just that if he is gonna save his money and do the conversion right, lock it now and wheel the piss out of it. Then when he has all the parts, do the conversion.
I thought I said that too :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shit guys I guess I could have been a little less unclear. I already have f/r ARB's and 4 wheel discs. My truck will "get it" as is. I'm just a little disconcerted about lifting tires all over the place. She doesn't articulate well at all. I'm hella uptight about off camber stuff as it is, but off camber tilty shit with one tire liftin feelin like a flop about to happen shit really gets my panties in a bunch. I guess I'm looking for a little instant gratification here.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
BMAN said:
My truck will "get it" as is. I'm hella uptight about off camber stuff as it is, but off camber tilty shit with one tire liftin feelin like a flop about to happen shit really gets my panties in a bunch. I guess I'm looking for a little instant gratification here.
Well damn dude, put those wider axles in there and never look back. I love my current setup. Places that would be major pucker factor before and no big deal now for me. The stability is unreal. Of course there isn't a stock mount left on my frame for the suspension, and that helped with the flex as well. I am currently maxing out a set of 12 inch travel shocks in the front, and have some 12 inch travel shocks in the rear mounted at an angle so they don't max out. MUCHO TRAVEL!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FUCK MAN!!! I didn't even think about my fucking shocks limiting the axle droop. What a fukin moron I am. I'll check that out and see if a simple shock swap will get me some more droop. What kind of shocks are you running for 12" of travel?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
BMAN said:
FUCK MAN!!! I didn't even think about my fucking shocks limiting the axle droop. What a fukin moron I am. I'll check that out and see if a simple shock swap will get me some more droop. What kind of shocks are you running for 12" of travel?
Well I wasn't sayin your shocks are the limiting factor. But hey it's worth a shot. See if in fact they are holding things up.

Rancho 9012 front and some Bilsteins in 5100's in the rear. (I love the bilsteins and I will never ever ever ever ever ever buy another set of POS rancho shocks, they are crap compared)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bilstein 5100's eh? Are they all 12" travel or must you specify?

I know you didn't say that the shocks were my problem but when I read your post it just jumped out at me. I'll definately check them out to make sure that they're not the problem.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
BMAN said:
Bilstein 5100's eh? Are they all 12" travel or must you specify?
ah beats me. I borrowed a complete set from my buddy so I could see if I liked em. Oh yeah, bad ass shocks. He had an old set there that he let me have. When the $$$ is back in my pocket after refinancing our house I will be talk to Mike and getting a complete set of em from Shaffers here in Carson City.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
GloNDark said:

toatally agree lockers should be the first mod, they are one of the best

flex is wayyyy overrated

guys over here spend big bucks getting them flexy and have no idea :eek: you cna go to far!! (slinky) and they still havent ponied up on lockers

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BJ On Roids said:

toatally agree lockers should be the first mod, they are one of the best

flex is wayyyy overrated

guys over here spend big bucks getting them flexy and have no idea :eek: you cna go to far!! (slinky) and they still havent ponied up on lockers
Uhm yeah. I'l get right on that.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Hey BMAN

that front 60 and 14 bolt? you interested in keeping your cruiser axles? get longfields and treat the inners, itll be good for up to 38s!!

Im interested in buying the 60, we can get 14BFF anchors down here

What side drop?
What gears?
cmawwn :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Passenger drop 60 w/ 4.11's. Centered 14bolt w/ same gears. I'm not real sure on the whole story yet though. The dude I'm hookin up with is out of town for 2 weeks so it's kinda on the back burner. If I get the deal put together, I'm planning on buying the lot and tossing them in the garage until I get them built. I probably would keep the cruiser axles until I had the swap complete on the full width shiat! I wont even begin to tear down my junk until I've got the axles ready and all the other stuff for the swap sitting in the garage. Long term teardown is out of the question. I have to wheel at least 2 or 3 times a month or I start going into convulsions. Once I score my junk I'm gonna have this dude keep his eyes out for more of the same. Shit just falls in his lap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts