Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro is looking into swapping an 8” Toy axle into his 4 cyl YJ to replace his D35 rear end. He ultimately wants to run 4.88’s so he can turn 33’s. He’d also like to stay pretty close to stock width of ~60” wms-wms. Until last week I admittedly didn’t know jack about Toyota axles so I’ve searched and read FAQ’s (including all newbie & softcore) for days on end and found myself with a few questions left unanswered. Here’s what we’re thinking:

Option 1: Find a 3rd gen Taco or 4Runner 8.25”rear axle w/ e-locker & regear it to 4.88. Axle is perfect width at 60” and it uses the same gear sets as the Turbo/V6 8” diff so gears should be easy to come by.

Option 1 Questions:
1) I know that the 2wd V6’s should have the 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern right, but that all e-locker axles have 6-lug axles (incl 2wd PreRunners) like the 4wd’s. Is it safe to assume that the 2wd 5 on 4.5” axles are interchangeable with the 6 lug axles?
2) Does the 8.25” use the same d/s flange as the 8”? (thinking about d/s yoke adapter)

Option 2: Find a 92-93 (non-ABS) or 94-95 (ABS) 4x4 V6 4Runner rear or a 92-95 4x4 V6 truck rear with factory 4.88 gearing and add a Detroit.

Option 2 Questions:
1) Can the axles be re-drilled for 5 on 4.5” bp (I doubt there’d be room) or can custom shafts with 5 on 4.5” bp be had for a reasonable price (ie. don’t need ChroMo)?
2) If not, are wheel adapters available? This would solve width & bp problems.
3) Would it fawk everything up to put in a 94-95 4Runner ABS axle if he doesn’t have ABS?
4) Also, I have read of one case where a guy had an 87 4cyl 5spd non-SR5 4Runner that had 4.88’s from the factory – any others with 4.88’s that I don’t know about?
5) There’s gotta be a yoke adapter available for a driveshaft w/ 1310 joints, right? (I recall hearing tha a chevy one would fit)

Option 3: Pick up any 79-95 truck or 4Runner 8” axle we can find cheap then regear & lock it.
Are the 2-pinion 8” axles that much weaker than the 4-pinion design, esp for our application?

The first option should be the easiest, but ultimately it’ll all come down to the total cost.

FWIW, I’ve already been here http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html and here http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml#Transmission

So, what am I fawking up or forgetting?

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Well for starters, No. I don't believe the 2wd and 4wd drive axles are interchangeable. You would have to find a rear axle out of a turbo 2wd truck to go with a five lug axle with a v6 center diff. As for trying to find an axle with 4.88's in it, good luck. You'd be better off buying an axle and having it re-geared. Also, I have heard that the 4.88's from the factory have a limited selection on types of lockers and what not you can get for it. You may not be able to get a detroit for it. Realize that if you are going to stick an axle from a pre-runner, or fourwheel drive Taco under there, that you will have to convert it to spring under as all pre-runners and 4wheel drive tacoma's were spring over. If you go with a 4-runner rear axle, you have to deal with completely stripping the axle of all the goodies that come with coil springs. That's any 4-runner after 89. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Anybody else have any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
montezuma said:
Well for starters, No. I don't believe the 2wd and 4wd drive axles are interchangeable. You would have to find a rear axle out of a turbo 2wd truck to go with a five lug axle with a v6 center diff.
That's what we were hoping to do. Anybody actually tried it?

As for trying to find an axle with 4.88's in it, good luck. You'd be better off buying an axle and having it re-geared.
Surprisingly, I found a half dozen or so in the southeast through car-part.com. We're hoping to find one locally over the next couple of weekends.

Also, I have heard that the 4.88's from the factory have a limited selection on types of lockers and what not you can get for it. You may not be able to get a detroit for it.
That I did not know. Anyone know for sure?

Realize that if you are going to stick an axle from a pre-runner, or fourwheel drive Taco under there, that you will have to convert it to spring under as all pre-runners and 4wheel drive tacoma's were spring over. If you go with a 4-runner rear axle, you have to deal with completely stripping the axle of all the goodies that come with coil springs. That's any 4-runner after 89.
Wow, can't believe I totally overlooked that aspect. Shouldn't be a problem though to strip it and put new spring mounts on though.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Anybody else have any ideas?
Thanks for the info. I gotta know, where is that quote in your sig from? I heard it once from an acquaintance about 7 years ago and never could remember all of it.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Same deal, I heard it form an acquaintance. I've heard it somewhere else, but don't remember where. As for putting the rear axle out of a 2wd turbo under a jeep, I haven't heard of this being done before. Thereare several people who are sticking toy axles under their jeeps though. Look on the cover of the january Petersons (I think it was january, someone want to confirm this).

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
the TRD E locker axle is a toy 8".. same as the V6 third. The 8.4" is an open diff.

I think the easiest way to go would be with a 2wd V6 axle. You keep the wheel lug pattern, and it is just about the right width (58").

Now if you are going to swap in a wagoneer axle.. i woudl go with a 60" tacoma TRD axle.

Thats just me personally though.

Garrett

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
get what ever axle you can find for the best price and gear/lock it. If the lug pattern is 6 and you want 5, get adapters to change that. If the width is a couple inches to narrow add a spacer/adapter to it...All sorts of things to do. I run a 2" spacer on the rear (87 IFS housing) for a 62"~ wide axle and a 1.5" spacer up front on a Waggy D44 for a 64"~ wide axle.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts