Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an Enco 13x40, model 110-1340 lathe, it is in good condition but the guy whacked the motor into something while moving it and the capacitors were broken off and lost. The motor was made in China and searching the part number comes up with nothing. Apparently it is un-possible for anyone to tell me what capacitors I should put on there, or even a way to figure it out, they all seem lost without having the original.

I called Enco and they told me they had no info on the motor itself, as it was discontinued, the dude at Grainger was no help, the only decent electrical motor rebuild shop in town (old school dudes) were no help, and now one of my old school electrical dude friends has it and seems lost as well.

The specs on the motor are 2 hp, 1725 rpm, 50-60 Hz, 220V, 11.9 amp. I do own a multi-meter and am decent with electrics. Is there a formula to apply and some things I can measure on the motor to get me going? Thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I seem to remember the guideline is 30uf per HP for start capacitors
Also remember that Capacitors on motors usually run at a higher voltage than incoming.. I mostly see 277-300v on a 240 v motor

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Pirate has already been more helpful than anywhere else, should have figured...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Motor-Start-Capacitor-2MEL2?Pid=search

Something like this may be in the ballpark? What happens if you get it wrong, it just doesn't produce max torque at startup? Is it possible to damage the motor with the wrong capacitor?

Also, that one states it is good for 20 starts per hour. Is that for continuous use or duty cycle type thing? For example on a lathe I might turn it on and off 50 times in 30 minutes, but then not use it for a week. Would that even out to not burn out the capacitor or will it simply not recharge fast enough to keep starting the lathe more than once every 3 minutes?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just found out that start capacitors must be within 10% MFD of the original rating.

Rough formula is (2650 x Full Load Amps) / Supply Voltage

So I would have (2650 x 11.9) / 220 = 143 MFD.

They sell a 130-158 MFD, 220-250V one.

And now found another place saying 80-120 MFD per hp, which would be 160-240....

They also sell a 145-174 MFD, 220-250V, which may be a decent place to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts