Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I install a detroit in my rockwell myself? Or have somoene do it? I did a search and came up with that you should know what you are doing installing a detroit in a D60 because of backlash and the certauin tools required. But is it the same for the rockwell? And where do I BUY one? Who else sells them besides Boyce, (Daniel usa6x6), and Chuckstrucks?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
TTT, I would like to know the answer as well.

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That website doesnt help worth a damn. It tells me that they are available, which I already know. What is involved in the install.

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I received this in a pm from grljeepr, I dont see why any of us cannot do this ourselves. (note: I received this in all caps, so just deal with it)

I ASSUME YOU ARE RUNNING TOP DROP ROCKWELL DOUBLE REDUCTION UNITS. IF SO, THE BULLGEAR SET UP IS ONLY TO PRELOAD THE CARRIER BEARINGS AND THE INTERNAL CASE SPLITS TO INSTALL THE LOCKER. SO, YOU MARK THE BULL GEAR WITH ANY TYPE OF OIL BASED PAINT TO SHOW YOU WHERE THE GEARS ARE RIDING LEFT TO RIGHT. PULL IT OUT, SPLIT IT INSTALL LOCKER, PUT IT BACK, AND USE THE ADJUSTER RINGS TO MOVE THE BULLGEAR BACK TO THE POSITION YOU MARKED. YOU SHOULD HAVE ZERO ENDPLAY ON THE CARRIER BEARINGS.
IF IT IS A HYPOID RING GEAR TYPE, MEASURE THE BACKLASH ON THE RING GEAR. RUN A WEAR PATTERN. PULL CARRIER, INSTALL LOCKER, PUT IT BACK, USE ADJUSTER RINGS TO RETURN TO INITIAL BACKLASH AND WEAR PATTERN SETTINGS.
IN EATHER CASE YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE DIFF ANY FURTHER APART.

Thanks again grljeepr.

Dane

·
Registered
646 Posts
Forgot to tell you---carrier cap bolts will take a strong 1/2" impact or long breaker bar. use locktite going back together cause you don't want them comming loose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts