Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started installing a detroit locker in my rear 60. I just finished installing a set of 4.10 gears in my 60 front so I have a good understanding of how to properly setup per Bill Vista's article. I'm still waiting on the bearing/shim kit to arrive so i decided to leave the pinion installed at this time. Initially I was thinking that the pinion depth would not require adjustment but I am unable to get the carrier bearing (ring gear side) to seat fully in the housing because of contact between the ring gear and pinion. It appears that the ring gear needs to move away from the pinion a large amount to allow the bearing to properly seat. At this time I only have my setup bearings installed without any carrier shims. I'm starting to question whether I have the correct carrier for 4.10 and lower gears. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Do you have the old carrier? If so, compare to the Detroit and see. Have you confirmed the detroit part number for the gear ratio/axle? Bought new or used?

·
Shameless Racing
511 Posts
If I understand correctly, the rear 4.10 gears were already set up correctly and you are just changing the carrier? If so then you should not need to touch the pinion, I would check the new carrier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the old carrier. I assume I should take a measurement between the ring gear side bearing seat (shim surface) and the flange that the ring gear bolts to. Bought the locker off ebay and was listed for my gears but possibly listed incorrectly. What is the dimensional difference between the two different series carriers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it sounds like I have a carrier for numerically higher gears then...I'll measure tonight or throw it on the CMM tomorrow. I've got a lathe at work...anybody ever remove .160" from the ring gear to make it work on the wrong carrier? I wonder if the bolt hole depth is .160" less on the numerically higher ring gear? Thanks for everybodys help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts