Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Detroit full carrier locker in my front Dana 44.

When I use to jack up the front end of the truck.. I could get one wheel to spin faster than ther other. I guess this would simulate the locker ratchiting during a turn like its suppose to.

But a few weeks ago one of my hubs broke. I replaced the hub... but now when I jack up the truck... the locker will not ratchet anymore! So I tried to drive it on the street (with hubs locked) and it will barley turn. I use to be able to lock the hubs on the street and turn just fine! (while not in 4wd)

So my question is... did something happen to my locker? Can they be rebuilt? It seems to be acting like a spool now... I guess thats better than it being broke and open! Any information would be helpful!

Yogi

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: yogiaz ]

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yogi----you have a soft locker? ...then you sheared the inner teeth off. Happened to me once. Drain your oil...see all them little square teeth?.
the locker is easy to dis-assemble and Detroit may send you the related part for a small fee.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ZUK:
<STRONG>Yogi----you have a soft locker? ...then you sheared the inner teeth off. Happened to me once. Drain your oil...see all them little square teeth?.
the locker is easy to dis-assemble and Detroit may send you the related part for a small fee.</STRONG>
It seems if the teeth were broke it would not lock at all! Or am I looking at it wrong? I dont know nothing about the internals of the Detroit... I just know its not working like it use to!

Yogi

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Originally posted by yogiaz:
<STRONG>I have a Detroit full carrier locker in my front Dana 44.

When I use to jack up the front end of the truck.. I could get one wheel to spin faster than ther other. I guess this would simulate the locker ratchiting during a turn like its suppose to.

But a few weeks ago one of my hubs broke. I replaced the hub... but now when I jack up the truck... the locker will not ratchet anymore! So I tried to drive it on the street (with hubs locked) and it will barley turn. I use to be able to lock the hubs on the street and turn just fine! (while not in 4wd)

So my question is... did something happen to my locker? Can they be rebuilt? It seems to be acting like a spool now... I guess thats better than it being broke and open! Any information would be helpful!

Yogi

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: yogiaz ]</STRONG>
Ronn,
Don't know how old your Detroit is, but they had a recall on almost all models that were produced recently due to bad castings. At least that was what I was told by our supplier. You might want to check with Detroit or the place you got it and see if yours falls under replacement warranty.
HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Sean:
<STRONG>
[qb]I have a Detroit full carrier locker in my front Dana 44.

Yogi

Ronn,
Don't know how old your Detroit is, but they had a recall on almost all models that were produced recently due to bad castings. At least that was what I was told by our supplier. You might want to check with Detroit or the place you got it and see if yours falls under replacement warranty.
HTH,
Sean[/QB]
Thanks Sean,

But I bought the Detroit off a member on the Pirate Board! Maybe I should see if he still has the reciept. So do you think that whatever is wrong with It can be fixed! Its a pain in the ass to turn on sticky surfaces!

Yogi

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Sean:
<STRONG>
[qb]I have a Detroit full carrier locker in my front Dana 44.

Yogi

Ronn,
HTH,
Sean[/QB]
Thanks Sean,

But I bought the Detroit off a member on the Pirate Board! Maybe I should see if he still has the reciept. So do you think that whatever is wrong with It can be fixed! Its a pain in the ass to turn on sticky surfaces!

Yogi

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Did you blow a hub under power? or was it just wearing out for some reason and needed replacing?

Reason being, if it was the first.. then more than likely you munched the side gears in the detriot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts