Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do they compare??? Im thinking of doing Detroit front and minispool rear. Will this totally screw me in the ice and snow daily driving??? I will go ARB front and rear sometime, but dont have the $$$$ at this time..

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Detroit is better in the snow and ice since you can let off the throttle through a corner so it will allow the differential to differentiate. This will keep the rear from sliding out. As for a spool, they are always at the same speed, so handling is a little more tricky. They both can be used as long as you drive accordingly, but the detroit is a wee bit more friendly. I personally wouldn't trade my detroit for anything for the extra traction in Michigan winters.
As for the spool in the rear, I personally wouldn't. I would Detroit the rear and ARB the front. (If I had the $$$) You could always unlock a hub if you lock the front...

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
i am running a detroit in the wonderful weather we are having and to me i see no real diffrence in the winter than when i had a welded rear in my old Sami . it takes some ajusting to get used to and will kick your arse around with a short WB vehicle if you hit ice and not paying attention to steering input.
but there is no way i would get rid of eather as once you get used to it it is predictable.
i would get a detroit if you got the cash as said before gives you more control.
and if you have more cash get a selectable

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Lockers in the rear in ice and snow, are both an advantage and a disadvantage. I like them now. However, you should drive much much more cautiously with one. Hard braking is not an option on ice anymore. If it is your daily driver and you are really worried, get a lock right or other lunchbox locker, and pull it out and put the spiders back in in the winter. They only take about 1/2 hour to install.

Ben

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I'm locked front and rear.
The front locker sucks ON-ROAD in the ice and snow.

You can't steer while spinning.
I go everywhere I can in 2wd and only pull it back into 4wd when I have to.

In 4wd going up the hills where I live, it's like
"Riding a greased beach ball down a flight of steps"
Lots of input required.

I have had several rigs with front lockers, I wouldn't have one without.

When pulling out from a T intersection, sometimes I go clear across the road into the ditch, then turn, and go the way I wanted to. Mostly just keep it in 2wd, no problems.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I setup a 92 Bronco just to drive in snow and as a DD. I went with a limited slip (Detroit TrueTrac) in the rear and an ARB up front.

Perfect setup for what I intended this truck to do.

I have no handling issues having the LS in back and can lock and unlock the front to get me through anything.

·
Registered
722 Posts
just hold out for arb

The best piece of advice I think I've had about building a rig are to build it as close to the way you want it to end up right from the start. I waited another four months to build the Yota I'm driving now for this reason.

I saved for ARBs at both ends and have never regretted it. The guys I wheel with have Detroit in both diffs and even though they are both excellent drivers (at least off the pavement) compared to me, when we convoy up to the trailhead, I have an easier time on the icy highways.

This could be because I learned to drive in Montana winters with both 4wd and 2wd but these guys have a lot more experience than I.

I'm a big believer in spending the bucks on a selectable locker if you can swing it in any way shape or form.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I try to spend as little possible on parts I know I am going to upgrade eventually. That is why I run the welded rear. Going back to an open diff, replacing it with a locker, or getting a selectable (doubt that will happen) will be easy to do, after a possible axle swap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A Detroit and a spool are EXACTLY the same on a slippery surface. The Detroit requires traction to allow the outside tire to unlock during a corner.
No traction= No unlock

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
also one thing about detroits that no one has mentioned is the tendency to engage going up hill on slippery surfaces when you are running a auto tranny and it descides it wants to shift.
Albeit this is rare but soemthing to be aware of.

Spool in the snow and ice is fun...basically exaggerates the effects one would see driving a 2wd truck around an icy curve IMO.

I have a mini spool in my rig right now...didnt bother taking it out this winter...its not a DD, but has been driven in snow with no problems.

Like every vehicle you need to be aware of its limits in ice and snow once you have it set up.

MJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jeepah--
I don't understand what you are saying about a Detroit engaging on a hill.

I Detroit is engaged ALL the time except when a tire is allowed to overspeed on a corner.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
if you are going up an ICY (or even wet if your tires suck) hill...the potential exists for one (or both) of the tires to slip (over speed as you said) as the tranny shifts...this can cause unexpected consequences. Like I said pretty rare though.

If you've ever driven up an icy hil in a rear wheel drive vehicle with an open carrier you will know what I am talking about.
(even more so if you have expereinced an un expected auto tranny shift on an icy hill)

A detroit would actually help keep you under control more than an open diff, but if you dont expect it to happen, and if its "engaging and disengaging" on ice/snow it can wake you up real quick. ;) Especially in a corner.

Thats the best I can explain it...would be easier to show ya.

:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry Jeepah but I still disagree.

The Detroit is always locked up unless a tire can be driven faster due to a corner. On a slick hill how can one tire go faster than the ring gear? It can't.

A Detroit is a spool unless one tire can over speed. No tire can go slower than the ring gear/pinion.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
sunshineoffroad said:
Detroit is better in the snow and ice since you can let off the throttle through a corner so it will allow the differential to differentiate. This will keep the rear from sliding out. As for a spool, they are always at the same speed, so handling is a little more tricky. They both can be used as long as you drive accordingly, but the detroit is a wee bit more friendly. I personally wouldn't trade my detroit for anything for the extra traction in Michigan winters.
As for the spool in the rear, I personally wouldn't. I would Detroit the rear and ARB the front. (If I had the $$$) You could always unlock a hub if you lock the front...
Give me a break. This question is a matter of preference. The guys who spent the $$ on their detroits will tell you how much better they are, when in reality they are just as bad and even worse in my opinion on slippery surfaces. I absolutely HATE my detroit. The only reason it is in my rig is because I was burning through gearsets with my spool. A spool is great because it is predictable. Both wheels are always locked together, it will always handle the same and you adjsut to it and it becomes second nature. The detroit is a nasty beast, aside from the annoying slop and unloading, you have no idea what in the hell it is going to do, especially on slippery surfaces. The detroit reacts on torque load input, you can get close to judging it on a dry road, but slippery or icey conditons...no way.
With that said, now that my rig is a trailer queen, I would love to put a spool back in, but I am really kicking myself now for selling my spool for $75 when I got the detroit. I've changed so many things on my rig over the years, I'm going to sit on this for a little while. A spool is not the best for a daily driver, neither is a detroit. ARB

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
A Detroit is unpredictable cornering ie: locking unlocking poping etc. A spool you always know what it is going to do. In the snow we play in (we have to travel to get there, dont get it where I live) spooled up is the only way to go. Of course a Detroit is the same once you hit the deep stuff if you have the $$. I prefer to spend my $$ on upgrading the rest of my drivetrain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do not have the problem with the jerky engagements or popping that you guys are explaining. My detroit engages with about 1/4 of a turn of a tire, is engaged the whole time I am on the throttle, and disengages smoothly when I let off the gas. I do not get the Jerky feeling that everyone complains about. I have yet to have the ass end of my truck walk out in snow or ice, and that is with a few years worth of Upper Michigan winters. Maybe the fact that mine is a long wheelbase helps to reduce the tendency? I dunno, but I have no complaints with my locker. Is a spool more predictable, yes. Is either better, depends on what you want. They are both harder on axles. A selectable is the best, hands down, but mucho $$$. This is kind of a case of Six of one-half dozen of the other. Would I ever own another vehicle with out some sort of traction device in at least the rear axle, no.

·
Registered
224 Posts
never had a spool in the rear, but i love my detroit in the snow, rain, and ice we get here in Va. i felt like my balls were cut off when the rear was temporarily open.

Hunter

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am running detroits front and rear,have been for about 15 years.Sure took a lot of fun out of driving in snow and ice. Just kinda adjust to how things work. One time I decided to try shifting from 2H to 4H on the fly. LOL. Drove right into a ditch. NO more shifting on the move.:rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive got a Detroit locker and it bangs like a busted 1/2 shaft.
but its great in the brown stuff.

it will also catch you out if you hit ice on one side on the road.

instant 90 deg turn !!

fun though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts