Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having intermittent problems with my Detroit. I have done the little test in the hand out about a million times and it locks and unlocks great. But when i am on the trail and i start to get wheelspin i can look at the back tire and it ain't movin. WTF, hell sometimes just backing out of a parking spot the damn thing chirps, but for some reason it isn't locked on the trail.
These things are supposed to be realatively tard proof, but i can't figure it out. I am losing my patience, any help?

Brad

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Have you verified that you have one rear tire spinning and the other not spinning. What I'm getting at is maybe the center diff is not locking.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I will never buy or use a Detroit ever again. The "engineering hamfistedness" (to quote another) of it is quite amazing. It is a disposable item. NEVER try to rebuild one, it isn't worth your time, effort, or money.

I have seen the light and have been converted to an ARB man for life.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
The Rover Detroit is a POS. Usually breaks when you snap an axle shaft. However in other applications like the D60 or Ford 9" Toyota LC, the Detroit is very strong and pretty much foolproof. I have one in my 9" and in the LC and love them.

Not sure what to think about your problem.

Billster

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have broken a couple... Normally due to pretty questionable axle shafts... Of recent out in Moab in the Disco (has Sals in the rear) The Shaft that broke was expected to break and i actually had a new one to replace it... Just never go to it... Pretty much any Detroit will break if you break a shaft with enough wheelspin involved, but it is difficult in the bigger units...
The Detroit in the Stock Sals configuration is actually what the call a No Spin... Like a 14 bolt it goes in in place of the spiders... Pull the carrier, take it apart and pull the spiders, put in the No Spin bolt the carrier back in no set up required... Takes about an hour.. With the proper bearings and ETC you can put a 30 or 35 spline diff that fits a 60 in a Sals.. The gears are the same, the break is the same and most the bearings are the same.

Detroits don't get messed up when you blow a ring gear. ... Which...
I've also broken 3 ARB's which without a Lathe can be a problem to fix after breaking them... ARB's tweak after blowing a ring gear..
I still like 'em Detriots I've run them for years...

Keith

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it is possible that the Center Diff isn't locking, i can't see on both sides of the truck at the same time so, it may just be that the front is pulling and the rear isn't. I find it hard to believe that it could worn springs or something, but then again, i wouldn't be suprised. :(

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts