Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm looking to install Truetrac's in a pair of D44's with 5.38's. How critical is the difference between deck heights considering that one can get thick rings for 3.73 and down if one wants to put 5.38's on said diff.

For what ever reasons, I can purchase 3.73 and down diffs for 2/3rds the price, am I screwing myself if doing so? Is the 3.92 and up that much stronger..

plan on running 35 inch tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as i know the gears won't mesh properly unless you have the right carrier, even if you get thick cut gears. Let us know if you try it out, i would be interested to know if it works or not.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as i know the gears won't mesh properly unless you have the right carrier, even if you get thick cut gears. Let us know if you try it out, i would be interested to know if it works or not.

Here's what I do know. Thick R/P are designed for the 3.73 and lower carriers, not the 3.92 and up carrier. So, how do you know that the thick gears won't mesh properly on a 3.73 and lower carrier to which they are designed for? You're the first to have said as much in all that I've read.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's what I do know. Thick R/P are designed for the 3.73 and lower carriers, not the 3.92 and up carrier. So, how do you know that the thick gears won't mesh properly on a 3.73 and lower carrier to which they are designed for? You're the first to have said as much in all that I've read.
Maybe i just misunderstood what you are doing. It sounds like you understand that the deck height i different because of the carrier break. I would compare the two deck heights and make sure that the thick cut gears compensate for the difference. If not then you won't be able to get a correct backlash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found my answer

Maybe i just misunderstood what you are doing. It sounds like you understand that the deck height i different because of the carrier break. I would compare the two deck heights and make sure that the thick cut gears compensate for the difference. If not then you won't be able to get a correct backlash.

found my answer, which was more about strength.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts