Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Dewalt 18v batteries lasted years. The replacements have sucked. The last one I bought didn't last six months. Is anybody else having this problem?
I have switched to red for a couple of tools. Battery life is great.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I work at a big retailer here in north idaho, that sells both Dewalt and Milwaukee

I see all of the warranty/repair items pass thru here.

What I see....

Dewalt batteries blow, but the tools seem to hold up.
Milwaukee tools blow, but the batteries seems to hold up.

Me? Im a Makita 18V guy. Been in the industry for practically forever, and still have 10+ year old 18V lithium batteries and tools that still havnt had any trouble.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
I work at a big retailer here in north idaho, that sells both Dewalt and Milwaukee

I see all of the warranty/repair items pass thru here.

What I see....

Dewalt batteries blow, but the tools seem to hold up.
Milwaukee tools blow, but the batteries seems to hold up.

Me? Im a Makita 18V guy. Been in the industry for practically forever, and still have 10+ year old 18V lithium batteries and tools that still havnt had any trouble.
So they're either great or shit?

My old work had dozens of Dewalt 18v stuff. Most of it was really good. We did have a batch of a half a dozen or so 1/4" hex impacts that were shit, a few weeks or less and something between the motor and coupler would snap. They were sent back for warranty a few time each until they changed something and then they were back to good.

My personal shit is all Milwaukee, I abused a few of them with no issues except once where I started a pressure washer with my drill and broke the little reverse thread screw that holds the chuck on, then grabbed my other drill and did the same thing. :homer:

I ran into a Milwaukee rep at HD and asked if he could order those screws, I told him exactly what I did and that it was my fault. He said, let's just send it in. So he printed me a label and I sent it in. A few weeks later they sent me a box with a brand new drill. Also, I should mention, that was a drill that I got at a yard sale, for $40 with the batteries and a charger. By the serial number, it was almost 5 years old, and thier warranty is 5 years.

I don't see any huge difference between any of the "higher end" brands of cordless. I like Milwaukee for the amount of products and the fact that they seem to be developing new products more aggressively than the others.

·
Broke Bastard
4,115 Posts
DeWalt 20v batteries aren't really 20v either.

They start out at 19.2v just like Milwaukee. But then when you add a load, they drop .2v lower than the Milwaukee does.

Marketing gimmick :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Most of my Dewalt 18v batteries are dead or dying. I tried a cheap replacement from amazon and it wouldn't fit in my dewalt charger :/

I'm migrating to Dewalt 20v stuff now. The batteries have insane capacity compared to my 18v stuff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dewalt 20V batteries are working great for me.

If yours 'dies' then there is a procedure to 'jump start' them that basically involves connecting the B+ and B- pins to another fully charged 20V battery. There is also a method to take the battery pack apart to accomplish the same thing, bypassing the electronics. You can also go as far as replacing a single 18650 battery cell in a Dewalt 20V battery pack. Look at this on YouTube...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought an adapter to use the 20v batteries last year, four batteries and one has failed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.