Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
A lot of people don’t understand “insider trading/info.”

Example 1: Your financial planner calls you to tell you it’s likely that if this thing spreads and leads to companies shutting down, it is going to damage the market. Not a public meeting, not insider trading.

Example 2: Your financial planner calls after he just sat in a private meeting where Trump plans to announce a trade ban with a China in 2 days. You realize that will cause losses and sell off. Insider trading.

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
A lot of people don’t understand “insider trading/info.”

Example 1: Your financial planner calls you to tell you it’s likely that if this thing spreads and leads to companies shutting down, it is going to damage the market. Not a public meeting, not insider trading.

Example 2: Your financial planner calls after he just sat in a private meeting where Trump plans to announce a trade ban with a China in 2 days. You realize that will cause losses and sell off. Insider trading.
Or...you are giving information in a briefing and you call your plan manager and tell them to sell. Insider trading and I have no doubt this is what happened. It would be coincidence if it were maybe one or two but it wasn't.

As stated, nothing will come of it as they would be the ones investigating themselves. :mad3:

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Some pigs are more equal than others.

Politicans are legally allowed to insider trade. Hence how they can become multimillionaires while in office.

Keep voting for your team

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
So a group of people that has made a lot of money off investments, made a smart investment, and now you guys want them jailed?

:confused:

Its called insider trading. Basically it means they executed trades with proprietary knowledge that was not available to the public. Smart investments and crooked investments are totally different. Martha Stewart went to prison for doing this after receiving tips from friends in congress about a trade possibility. She executed the trad just like her friends in congress. She went to prison her friends went back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I am almost sure that Feinstein with her amount of money has an investment team who pays attention to the writing on the wall. My grandmother was one of the best investors I’ve ever met because she paid attention to the writing on the wall. She regularly outperformed the investment people that did her trades for her. (Preinternet) They always wanted to control her money but they didn’t have as good a track record as she did.

I’m not gonna freak out over this one.

It was done after a security clearance level meeting. You aunt being an investor did her research and used her experience to anticipate what was going to happen. They knew the market was going to crash based off their meeting and liquidated before the information went public.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
except, that's not what happened here

So what happened here. Because it looks like Senators on an intelligence committee had a closed room meeting regarding the beginning of a possible global pandemic. Then said senators sold off tons of stocks to protect their profits from disappearing after the public is notified of this pandemic and panicked causing the stock market to crash.

If they were not in session how would this be any different from insider trading?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I'd have to look up the specifics, but there are protection laws in place for politicians that basically state info gained from their position can be utilized for personal investment use.

Correct. They conveniently gave themselves that power. They loosely interpreted the Constitution article 1 section 6 where it states:

“They [Congress] shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.”

Somehow insider trading is not a felony for congress critters but non congress critters are often felony charged...

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Insider trading.
Is it? Or is it just a witch hunt because somebody made a smart investment move? Here's a hint: If everybody else didn't do this exact same thing would the market be crashing right now? No it wouldn't. Everybody is doing it your just mad they beat you to it.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Correct. They conveniently gave themselves that power. They loosely interpreted the Constitution article 1 section 6 where it states:

“They [Congress] shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.”

Somehow insider trading is not a felony for congress critters but non congress critters are often felony charged...

It's why they make $174k per year, but somehow all of the long-term Congressmen/women are millionaires many times over. Doesn't exactly add up, does it?

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
That’s the really shitty part of it. Completely ignore that their democratic queen was involved as well.
Wrong...……………………………………………. From the article in the link.

James Inhofe, a Republican, and Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, also reportedly sold holdings at the time.

Try and read the article and be accurate.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts