Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to figure out if I should go pound sand or do a little more complaining.

I bought a bender and die from TMR on the board here in 2010, and I just got around to using it this past week. Well the follower die was machined wrong from pro tools and chewed the heck out of itself and my DOM tubing along with pinching the tubing into the main die making it a real pain to get it out of the main die. I made 4 bends with it before I decide to call pro-tools and see whats up.

Get a hold of Jody, he says no problem send it back and they will replace it, and that some of the dies from that period went out machined incorrectly ( I asked him to repeat that just to make sure I understood that some of the dies were machined incorrectly by pro-tools, he said yes). I said ok fine and that I need this die to get back to may as soon as possible as I have a bunch of work to do with it. Jody said get it in the mail, and that there is a one day turnaround on it and I will get in back on wednesday (sent it out Friday priority mail). It didn't get to protools till Tuesday, ok not his fault but should still get back to me on Thursday.

I talk to Jody again on tuesday, he tells me that they are going to have to charge me 60 dollars for the follower die, and I can get it back by saturday. I asked why I am having to pay for a defective tool, but am given no real good reason only that they normally charge a 100 dollars for the follower dies.

Im pissed because I feel that if you make a defective product and send it out to a customer you should replace without question. I understand that I am outside their warranty period, but this is there fault and shipped out a know defective product, and are still making me pay more just to get a working follower die back to me.

Also, I repeatedly stressed that I was in a hurry, they got the die on tuesday told me it would go back out the same day (it didnt), and just received an email from UPS that I will get my shipment on monday afternoon, 5 buisness days latter than I was told in the first place.

So should I shut up, or make a bigger deal of this?

Didn't proof read so give me a break.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I chewed up some tube in a JD2 bender before I figured out I needed to clean the crap off the tube and lube the dies.
On being in a hurry to get it back, you wait for over 2 years to even try it out and now you are in a yank? Not so sorry, but I wouldn't be too worried about paying any next day air or expedited shipping.
if the issue was incorrectly machined part, they should cover that and regular shipping.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I chewed up some tube in a JD2 bender before I figured out I needed to clean the crap off the tube and lube the dies.
On being in a hurry to get it back, you wait for over 2 years to even try it out and now you are in a yank? Not so sorry, but I wouldn't be too worried about paying any next day air or expedited shipping.
if the issue was incorrectly machined part, they should cover that and regular shipping.
Cleaned the crap out of the tube and lubed the die accordingly.

I ordered it to build a cage, when I got everything together to build the cage the die failed because of something that they did and admitted to, what does when I ordered it have anything to do with that? When the time came to use a brand new tool I got a few bends into it failed.

I was in a rush and told them that more than once, but the problem was them telling me one thing and another thing happening repeatedly, different shipping dates, paying for the die when originally there was nothing owed, etc.

Again, Jody said it was a machining error on their part.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The being in an hurry is on you. You had two years to test it. Them asking you to pay a reduced price (just my opinion) is that they may not fully believe you. You have had the bender for two years afterall. If i had ordered the bender, the day i recieved it, i would had to set it up and bent something! If what you say it true, then we all feel for you. While you may be honest and hardworking, there are alot of people that are not. They have ruined some customer services perks for the rest of us. "like taking your word for it" SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION= You are not whining, and Pro-tools made a business decision to split it with you, considering the time that has past.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The being in an hurry is on you. You had two years to test it. Them asking you to pay a reduced price (just my opinion) is that they may not fully believe you. You have had the bender for two years afterall. If i had ordered the bender, the day i recieved it, i would had to set it up and bent something! If what you say it true, then we all feel for you. While you may be honest and hardworking, there are alot of people that are not. They have ruined some customer services perks for the rest of us. "like taking your word for it" SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION= You are not whining, and Pro-tools made a business decision to split it with you, considering the time that has past.
true dat

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
60 to replace it sounds fair. if it werent 2 years old it would be a different story. i think they did you right

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sounds good, I wasn't really bothered to much by the 60 bucks, what got me was the shipping, they told me it would go out on one date when in reality it went out on a latter date, and this happened more than once.

I figured letting them know I was in a rush would get them to get the die back to me as soon as possible. Just because I wasn't in a rush two years ago means I can't be in a rush now? That doesn't make sense to me, I needed to get a job done before this Monday, my die broke and I needed it back as fast as possible.

I ended up borrowing my buddies bender, which worked great, and helped me get the job done.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Any chance you took pics of the issues you were having? I seem to recall one of my followers gouging the tube too. It was only one size but I remember taking a carbide bit to the thing to stop it from happening. I wonder if mine had the same manufacturing problem. I dont recall which die it was but im leaning toward 1.5"...

IMO your deal sounds fair to me. Protools shipped me the wrong die set once and were more than fair. I kept the set I had (which I wanted one day anyway), and I got the set I ordered at half price. I was happy to wait an extra week for the die when I got a 2nd set half off.

Go bend some shit and show us pics of your finished cage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts