Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
did i kill my 22re? rebuild kit ???

was stuck in the snow tonight way outside of town with only a freind to try and push, so we shoveled and shoveled and pushed and pushed, well i "heard and felt" something let go in the motor, a loud "tick" developed, not like a lifter tick, but like an exhaust leak lifter tick with a "growl" well it ran for a while, in fact it ran till i got it unstuck and then stalled, would not start back up, called up another friend who came and towed me back to town, if i threw the truck in gear and let the clutch out it would lock up all 4 tires even on pavement rather then turning the motor over...i tried 1-4 gears, any ideas on what this might be? its 1 degree outside so i havnet had a chance to tear anything apart, what should i be looking for, any ideas what the problem may be?
:confused:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it was running just under "halfway" on the guage plenty far from the red, has a new thermostat in it from a previous overheating problem about a month and a half ago even when i really beat on it, it seems to stay cool

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
What year, how many miles?

Don't need to do a whole rebuild if it's just a rod bearing. Just drop the pan and they're right there.

·
Registered
986 Posts
22re's are dime a dozen here, go pick yourself up one from some guy parting out a truck... this way you can here it run and look at the kilometers...oops miles:flipoff2:

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
I've got a 22R w/ only 80k I'll make you a good deal on if you want to make a trip to the lower half.:D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ForestCam said:
I've got a 22R w/ only 80k I'll make you a good deal on if you want to make a trip to the lower half.:D
a 22r is a carburated model. yes? can my FI be adapted to it easily?my brother is thinking of coming up to visit 2 weeks from now so if he does he could bring it to me, i may take you up on that once i find out whats going on with my motor, i am busy from now until basically thursday but will try and fiddle with my truck sometime this week to see if i can provide further symptoms to the board and if you guys can give me some pointers/tips/suggestions, 130,000 miles and i killed it :( this is something i need like i need a hole in my darn head

·
Registered
392 Posts
If the engine is seized up solid. Sounds like it is. I'd look in the classified for a cheap truck (likely with a bad frame from rust) that still had a good engine and swap that in.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not sure but, I believe the 22R and 22RE are the same motor aside from the induction (carb vs efi) that is if it's an 85' or newer 22R(single row timing chain also refered to as the "short deck" motor):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts