Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading to colorado 7/6 and staying until 7/15. Our plans are as follows.

7/6 meet in Breckinridge and run wheeler Lake trail then drive to start of Holy across trail and camp for the night

7/7 run Holy Cross then drive to Buena Vista

7/8 run Chinaman Gulch and Iron Chest. Camp for the night

7/9 - 7/12 head to telluride area and run the following trails we are planning on camping the whole time in this area.
Black bear pass
Engineer pass
Imogene pass
Governor basin
Poughkeepsie gulch

7/12 drive to Durango

7/13 take the train from Durango to silverton

7/14 head to Farmington to play at the Choke Cherry off-road area.

Couple questions from people in the know.

1)Does my time line look ok? Are we putting too many trails into too short a time frame? Biggest concern is the Iron Chest and chinaman Gulch in a single day? The trails around telluride im ok if we don't hit all of them, which would be the top rated for that area?

2)Are we missing any must do trails in Colorado?

3) any must do places to stop and eat or see along the way that you Reccomended?

4) any advice on camping areas for the different areas? I assume there will be camp sites around the entrances of most of these trails or close by. Are there camping permits required? Reservations? If so is there a website I can use to sort all those details out?

5) I know nothing about Farmington other than from videos I have seen online it looks awesome!! I could not find any trail maps of the area, anyone care to share some info?

We are going to be taking our F150 in my signature and my neighbor is bringing his 4dr jeep rubicon on 35s, and my dad is Bringing his new 4dr raptor for the telluride area trails. Both are pretty capable but not buggies either. And we would both like to avoid major body damage. Are there any trails that we might want to avoid on the list? And I know Black bear is going to be very narrow and tight turns.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When you are driving through Montrose, check out the Black Canyon, it doesnt take much time and its pretty impressive. Also, while in Ouray, check out Box Canyon Falls.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks is for the info. We will add both of those places to the schedule if we end up with enough time. Everyone, please keep the help coming.

·
Registered
433 Posts
look like a good trip. some days may run short on time but you'll just have to adjust a little as you go. also beware the gravel road to holy cross sucks its 6+ miles of shitty washboard. the road to the trailhead for chinamans is getting about as bad but it is short.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redneck23, you brought up a good point. We will be towing our vehicles between trails. My trailer is 32' deck gooseneck. Are there places to turn it around at the trail heads? Or tight turns, rough terrain that could cause issues with the trailer getting to any of these trail heads?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
We are heading to colorado 7/6 and staying until 7/15. Our plans are as follows.

7/6 meet in Breckinridge and run wheeler Lake trail then drive to start of Holy across trail and camp for the night

7/7 run Holy Cross then drive to Buena Vista

7/8 run Chinaman Gulch and Iron Chest. Camp for the night

7/9 - 7/12 head to telluride area and run the following trails we are planning on camping the whole time in this area.
Black bear pass
Engineer pass
Imogene pass
Governor basin
Poughkeepsie gulch

7/12 drive to Durango

7/13 take the train from Durango to silverton

7/14 head to Farmington to play at the Choke Cherry off-road area.

Couple questions from people in the know.

1)Does my time line look ok? Are we putting too many trails into too short a time frame? Biggest concern is the Iron Chest and chinaman Gulch in a single day? The trails around telluride im ok if we don't hit all of them, which would be the top rated for that area?

2)Are we missing any must do trails in Colorado?

3) any must do places to stop and eat or see along the way that you Reccomended?

4) any advice on camping areas for the different areas? I assume there will be camp sites around the entrances of most of these trails or close by. Are there camping permits required? Reservations? If so is there a website I can use to sort all those details out?

5) I know nothing about Farmington other than from videos I have seen online it looks awesome!! I could not find any trail maps of the area, anyone care to share some info?

We are going to be taking our F150 in my signature and my neighbor is bringing his 4dr jeep rubicon on 35s, and my dad is Bringing his new 4dr raptor for the telluride area trails. Both are pretty capable but not buggies either. And we would both like to avoid major body damage. Are there any trails that we might want to avoid on the list? And I know Black bear is going to be very narrow and tight turns.

I live in Durango. It's highly unlikely that Black Bear will be open at that time this year, due to snowfall. Possible, but unlikely.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is my favorite trail in the area and I will venture a near 100% prediction this one will not be open until August, again due to snowfall.

For information on Chokecherry, check out Homepage - Avada Landing Product. There's lots of wild, but not much mild. Navigation is difficult and you will have a hard time finding most trails without a local. The guy who runs that site is a great guide and helps people new to the canyon all the time.

When you're in Durango, hit me up for a :beer:.

·
Registered
433 Posts
theres plenty of room and campsites along homestake rd.( the gravel road to the trailhead for holy cross. but if your dates are on a weekend the campesites tend to fill up pretty quick. i always try to unload at the soonest location as that road sucks especially pulling a trailer. and you're fine driving non plated rigs on that road. plenty of parking and turn around room and camping at the trailhead for chinamans. i don't think theres much trailer parking at iron chest so if you're street legal it may be best to drive it from chinamans to iron chest. i haven't been on the there trails but i'm pretty sure theres a fair amount of trailer parking at them or nearby especially if its mid week.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks FC4x4. Any other trail suggestions if black bear and the gulch are closed? Maybe another area all together? Also, is there a website that we can go to that lists trail openings or closures?

And we will definately hit you up when we are in town!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
FC's not wrong. The odds of any high trails being open at that time is very low. Enjoy. Your timeline doesn't seem crazy, just aggressive without much contingency time.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks FC4x4. Any other trail suggestions if black bear and the gulch are closed? Maybe another area all together? Also, is there a website that we can go to that lists trail openings or closures?

And we will definately hit you up when we are in town!
Good deal, I look forward to seeing the Raptor on Chokecherry slickrock. :flipoff2:

There will be many other trails open in the Silverton area. Stony Pass, Alpine Loop, Minnie Gulch, Maggie Gulch, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Imogene, etc. should all be open. Not sure which website to check, but the gas station in Silverton usually has a good idea what's happening.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doing our final trip prep this weekend and just wanted to check back here one last time to see if there was anymore suggestions. My dads raptor has not made it to the dealer yet so he is bringing his built cj5 on 37s which opens up the trails we can run in the silverton area to harder stuff. Anymore advice? Words of wisdom? Places we should stop and eat?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here's the latest update from Silverton...

19420849_1659873487404629_6738050996154795822_n.jpg

Did you get hooked up with my buddy Rick for Farmington wheeling?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I looked through the link you posted but had a hard time figuring out where to go, maybe the site is better from a computer but all I have is my phone. Does Rick guide runs around Farmington? I would love to meet up with someone that could show us around the different areas we are going, would save a lot of wasted time.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In the start of our wheeling trip through Colorado and kinda figured finding a place to camp would be easy at each trail, but we struck out first day at Wheeler lake. Posted no camping.

Looking for help from people that know the areas where to camp that has access for a truck and 32' trailer. We are running the following trails and need help please!!!

Buena vista area we are running Iron Chest, and Chinaman Gulch. Looking for a good camp site in the area.

Next area we need help in is the silverton area. We are planning 2-3 nights in this area running different trails throughout the area and would like to set up a base camp area that we can leave setup the whole time and just head in different directions each day.

Last piece of advice, is there anything in the montrose area worth checking out wheeling wise on the way to silverton? Looks like most of the trails we wanted to run in silverton will be closed for the year due to snow. Vehicle is the truck in my sig.

Please help, and thanks. PM if you don't want to share your secret spot with the world :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
plenty of room to camp at the trailhead for chinamans in buena vista. and all over that area as well. i'm no help on silverton as only camped there once and had to search a bit to find a site but it was 4th of july weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts