Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends at the local ford dealership and they gave me a dodge front axle. They weren't sure what it came off of but they thought it was a 60. It has ball joints and is set up for coil springs. There is a rectangular opening on the long side axle tube. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
703 Posts
Whats inside the opening on the tube?Sounds like where a vac. disconnect might hook up.Does it have locking hubs?

Im not sure but that does not sound like an axle worth messing with.But I could be wrong :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dodge BJ 60 are Vac Disconnect IIRC = POS

-RJ

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i was afraid of, it seemed like too good of a deal. Why is it a pos though, is it anythng that can be fixed?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i thought someone came out with a manual hub conversion for those? and besides the ball joints, which really arent that big of a deal just cant get high steer stuff as easily, the axle is still a 60, am i right or wrong/

wes

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I looked into this about 3.5 years ago. Dynatrac sells a solid axle conversion kit for the VAC disconnect 60's...At first blush I was stoked to hear that considering the cost of the 60 in question...Then I asked about price for their kit...$2100!!! Of course that included hubs, blank-plate and "custom" axles...:rolleyes:

Note: Price MAY have come down since then, but anything over $500 IMO makes it a non-worth while option.

--D

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
RockRover said:
I looked into this about 3.5 years ago. Dynatrac sells a solid axle conversion kit for the VAC disconnect 60's...At first blush I was stoked to hear that considering the cost of the 60 in question...Then I asked about price for their kit...$2100!!! Of course that included hubs, blank-plate and "custom" axles...:rolleyes:

Note: Price MAY have come down since then, but anything over $500 IMO makes it a non-worth while option.

--D
k, that answers the question, sell it to someone that might actually want it and get a real 60

wes

·
Registered
565 Posts
ok or not
For the DIY type with access to a good axle shop:
You would need to get everything from the axle tube outward including the ball joints, knuckles, rotors, calipers, hubs, knuckle flange, and outer axle stubs. The Ford knuckle is sized differently than the Dodge, so the knuckle flanges will have to be transplanted to the Dodge axle (cut both flanges from the axle tubes, weld the Ford version onto the Dodge axle tube). There is no seal at the passenger side of the diff case, so the replacement axle will need a sealing surface at the CAD seal. I haven't checked into the feasibility of this because (frankly) my front end project is finished and I don't have time to spend chasing parts and details for other options. Here are some other considerations if you pursue the knuckle swap:

You will have to give up the ABS unless you are willing to do a considerable amount of work.
The brake hoses will have to be altered to fit the Ford calipers.
Ford wheels use a larger center hole (about 0.1" larger) and Dodge rims must either have the center hole enlarged, or the Ford hub flange must be turned down to fit the OEM rims. NOTE: Ford rims are only 6" wide to fit 235/85R16 tires.
Ford knuckles and hubs will place the wheels about 1/2" farther outboard on each side.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sled dog where did you get that quote from?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It also essentially has D44 running gear in it IIRC.

I would listen to Seven on this one.

-RJ

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dave C said:
thats what i was afraid of, it seemed like too good of a deal. Why is it a pos though, is it anythng that can be fixed?
This unit has a disconect coupling, the axle size is the same as the dana 44, and it is 30 spline. People call all the time to see if i have one because the housings bend like sheet metal and the axles brake like candy canes. steve

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i picked one up for $75 last year... since i need a pass drop, i use the piece outside the CAD for the short side, then got a 2ft piece of tube to make a new long side, machined the 8 lug hub's to 6, and put 1/2 ton brakes on it. i competed on this axle all last season and 1/2 of this season with NO failure. i bought 2 Yukon blanks shaft's and had a set of stub's made last last season, still 32sp, i ran water filled 40's and drive agressivly, no failures, and was under $1000 into the axle, in the rig ready to run with spicer shaft's and joints in it. 35sp inner's and a detroit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts