Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some Farmington pics. Wheel stands was on the Intimidator trail.
The others are Easter Heep Safari pics with a few friends. :)
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=/ad94
Farm 10 was a almost turtle. Thats the ground almost directly behind the Scout. Moab 1,2,3,4 is Rocker Knocker, UNASSISTED. When we ran thru RK last time everyone took a strap or had people hanging off their rigs. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Shadow man said:
Some Farmington pics. Wheel stands was on the Intimidator trail.
The others are Easter Heep Safari pics with a few friends. :)
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=/ad94
Way cool pics. :cool2:

The wheelstand got me to thinking. What's better in that situation. 4 speed or Auto? With the Auto you can hit reverse if you're fast. With the 4 speed you push the clutch in and let gravity do it's thing.

BTW, how has the Dana 70 rear steer been holding up so far?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a girl pull out a guys wrangler 3 times from the same mud hole with the scout while I hooked up straps. He stopped talking shit after that.
matt

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hammerlock said:
Way cool pics. :cool2:

The wheelstand got me to thinking. What's better in that situation. 4 speed or Auto? With the Auto you can hit reverse if you're fast. With the 4 speed you push the clutch in and let gravity do it's thing.

BTW, how has the Dana 70 rear steer been holding up so far?
Actually on some of the Comp obsticles there I had to reverse it to save my ass more than once. Rolling back would'nt have done it. I like the tires to pull me back. Thats why when I climb, I have my hand on the shifter ready for reverse. Reverse is only 2 clicks away! :) Instant pull back. Remember sometimes you still have forward and upper momentum forces to deal with before gravity can work!
The 70 has needed improvements to the spindle bolts as not there is not enough of them. I have drilled, tapped and installed 9, 1/2" spindle mounting studs in the knuckles to keep the spindles on. Still holding strong so far. No R&P issues with the Yukons yet. I have twisted off 3 sets of rear 35 spline axles, but none lately as the tranny is hurt and the engine is damn near dead. Still has enough power left to smoke all 4 tires though. A blown 511 BBC and t-400 is waiting in the wings. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
bad ass pictures.

like the side shot overlooking the area.

btw, congrats on the petersons 4w article. made it actually worth the .75 i paid for the mag. :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
yea the article made the magazine that issue. its been kinda slim on cool stuff lately.
we put longer springs in my buddies 4runner on labor day. finished it up last night. now hes gotta help me on my scout!

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes i wheeled monday --nope not in teh scout

i got rid of my old DD/trail rig last week so i "borrowed" a freinds toyota mini for the day and put it thru its paces -- if anyone cares to ask there is pics --i wont jsut link to them cause some of you may conisder that blasphamy

my tacoma is gone and i got a dodge to pull teh scout with so now i dont have to worry about keeping it street legal sicne i cna flat-tow it to the trails so it shouldn't be too much longer til i can get some stocker posing shots :shaking:

i really like those scout wheeling pics defintiely soem cool shit going on there

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
JaccDaRipper said:
my tacoma is gone and i got a dodge to pull teh scout with so now i dont have to worry about keeping it street legal sicne i cna flat-tow it to the trails so it shouldn't be too much longer til i can get some stocker posing shots :shaking:
Not sure about where you live, but in Montana, I have to license my Scout to flat-tow it (think of it as a "trailer"), and it needs to be largely street legal.

By "largely" I mean I can probably get away with not having wipers, or headlights, or an e-brake.. thinks a "trailer" doesn't need.

But I would need to have mud-flaps and fenders/flares as appropriate, as well as tail-lights and such.

Might even need a TOAD brake system to be really legal. Most states want a trailer over ~2,000lbs to have brakes. Your flat-towed Scout is a 5k trailer.

Not that I haven't flat-towed my un-braked full-width Scout II 10,000 miles.. :D

I drove my Scout around my field, washed it, pulled the D20 out, then drove one of my other Scouts around the field, rammed into the 1st Scout, and pushed it into the shop.. where it now sits with the dead 727 next to it, and the new 727 on the tranny jack ready to go in..

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Rippa, don't worry about wheeling other rigs. I used to go get rentals and wheel them so my buddies would have a chance to outwheel me in their jeeps. They still got beat a few times. :D By a stock rental. :grinpimp:
I have a Dodge tow rig too. Its a bombed 90 Dodge CTD with a utility box on it. I'll never go back to gas for a towrig. Great power even towing over 11,000 ft. The boxes are absolutely great for everything. I don't take anything out and you can lock everything up.
As for pics, Moab 11 is the 4 wheel and Offroad photo shoot on the sand hills at Proving grounds. I can easely jump those hills. :smokin: The heep at the bottom of the hill is a feature rig that will be out too. Its a rig that was built with Money, not by the owner. Someone has to keep these 4x4 shops in buisness. Notice there isn't any pics of it shooting up those hills! TOO PRETTY! :rolleyes: My wife said he couldn't climb to the top of the hills anyways. Its does have a SBC in it too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Shadow man said:
The heep at the bottom of the hill is a feature rig that will be out too. Its a rig that was built with Money, not by the owner. Someone has to keep these 4x4 shops in business. Notice there isn't any pics of it shooting up those hills! TOO PRETTY! :rolleyes: My wife said he couldn't climb to the top of the hills anyways. Its does have a SBC in it too.
I love pulling up to one of these guys broke on the side of the trail. They never have any decent tools or parts. :laughing:

·
Registered
60 Posts
tsm1mt said:
Not sure about where you live, but in Montana, I have to license my Scout to flat-tow it (think of it as a "trailer"), and it needs to be largely street legal.

By "largely" I mean I can probably get away with not having wipers, or headlights, or an e-brake.. thinks a "trailer" doesn't need.

But I would need to have mud-flaps and fenders/flares as appropriate, as well as tail-lights and such.

Might even need a TOAD brake system to be really legal. Most states want a trailer over ~2,000lbs to have brakes. Your flat-towed Scout is a 5k trailer.

Not that I haven't flat-towed my un-braked full-width Scout II 10,000 miles.. :D
thanks the headsup Tom--i was kinda planning on just dragging it around til i was told about it --with trailer lights spread across teh top of teh tailgate

im sure in PA it needs everything including teh kitchen sink to be legal --well at least in teh populated areas of the state --i'll look into it farther

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shadow man said:
Hey Rippa, don't worry about wheeling other rigs. I used to go get rentals and wheel them so my buddies would have a chance to outwheel me in their jeeps. They still got beat a few times. :D By a stock rental. :grinpimp:
I have a Dodge tow rig too. Its a bombed 90 Dodge CTD with a utility box on it. I'll never go back to gas for a towrig. Great power even towing over 11,000 ft. The boxes are absolutely great for everything. I don't take anything out and you can lock everything up.
i got a new gasser for the towrig-- i really wanted to get a dually deisel but wtihout hogging up bandwidth -- lets say --i couldn't afford a new deisel and with a bunch of cirumstances it was easier and close on $$$ for me to get into a brandnew truck then a used oilburner<say 1998+> --hoping to make the upgrade 5-7 years down the line

as for wheeling other rigs i CANT worry about that --teh scout dotn even run out of more tehna blitz can right now adn it has no top or rollbar --cant say how id fair ina rental jeep though my reg cag tacoma was similar in WB as the SII is and i wheeled that for 5 years -wheeling with teh SWB jeeps now --i cannot look at an obstacle and pick a good line for teh SWB rigs --mayeb thats a beneficail mental block though since i have no interest in owning one

im drving the blue mini in the following pics
http://www.lieblweb.com/Events/RC9.06.04/
and the smackedass leanign against the tree
the pink wristband is issued by the ORP
http://members17.clubphoto.com/jonathan820321/2655361/guest.phtml

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
JaccDaRipper said:
thanks the headsup Tom--i was kinda planning on just dragging it around til i was told about it --with trailer lights spread across teh top of teh tailgate

im sure in PA it needs everything including teh kitchen sink to be legal --well at least in teh populated areas of the state --i'll look into it farther
I'd just put some magnetic trailer lights on it and have a go..

Just didn't want you to start GUTTING IT OUT thinking, "It's OK, I'll flat tow it".. then find out you really need to *trailer* it.

In PA, unless you can get it licensed as a trailer, you'll probably still need to pass annual inspection, right? (Or find a place where you can just buy the sticker.. :D ) Inspection pretty much means you're stuck being more or less street legal..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts