Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have everything I need for the diesel bronco I have always wanted. The problem I am having is what route to take to put this together. I need to get the bronco together so I can drive it while I rebuild the motor on my Powerstroke, so I need that fastest possible route and then upgrade later.
I have a 84 super cab f250 with a 6.9l and a 4 speed. I also have a aftermarket turbo kit for it. The bronco is a 1990 with a 5.0 and was a auto. I also have superduty axles. Now the problem is should I swap the motor into the bronco and move the axles over or should I swap the body onto the f250 frame and move the axle up.
Front what I have seen on other same motor swaps its pretty strait forward. Move motor mounts from the donor and get bigger springs for the front. Also rewire for the standard trans instead of auto. I have a same year of bronco that was standard so I have all those parts too. I would have to drive on the stock bronco axles for a bit until I have time to swap the superduty axles in.
I have measured the frames on both trucks and the f250 steps up 2 inches further back then the bronco frame. They are the same width and everything from front doors to the bumper mount the same. Front doors back have to add one body mount before the frame steps up and the rest mounts on top of the frame. Then move the axle up and have bigger axles right away to survive the diesel.
So any one have any tips, ideas, or opinions.

Quick shot of trucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been driving the truck for the last couple years. I have a 2002 superduty I drive now so I am building the bronco as a family offroader. The supercab does not fit my kids seats in them and the truck is in much worse shape then the bronco. Solid floors all around, and I am cutting the fenders more to remove rust and put big tires with low lift, and cutting rockers and welding in some sliders in place.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
tough call without seeing it all in person.

it would go on chassis condition.

if the 250 is rough-rough-rough...and bronco is good, likely i would put e350 springs in the front of it....traction bars out back and get on with the diesel. would run the ttb 44 till it proved it couldnt handle it then hopefully by then the modified 50 beams would be ready.

if the bronco frame is shit then its a no brainer. heavy frame for a fullsize is never a bad trade off.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Bronco frame was built pretty tough. I have heard (I haven't personally mic checked) that the Bronco frame was as thick as the F-250 frame. The F-150 had a thinner frame. The F-150 also got lighter duty transmissions and transfer cases in later models than comparable Broncos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have measured both frames and they are the same width and height. The thickness difference is very minimal. I have flexed both out and the f250 frame twisted a lot but that's with a very long frame and springes that do not flex without a ton of dirt in the back.

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
I think it would be much easier to stick the Bronco body on the pickup frame. One of the forum members here and two more of us managed to get a late 70s Bronco body swapped onto another frame, with no fancy rigging. I'm not sure how different the radiator frames are, but that diesel radiator is huge and you may need to keep those together.

I am also a bit biased as I love the 80-86 body style much more than I do the 87-91, so I would keep the older front clip too. You're already hacking fenders so the wheel wells don't need to match. Then just roller paint the bitch after you're done hacking and you're good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts