Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on a Detroit / Perkins, 4 cylinder diesel engine. It's fairly small and looks like it could fit in a Cruiser. The thing is clean with very few hours on it.
But I'm not sure as to what to look for in terms of an automotive application. This engine was set up to run a huge-ass water pump in a fire water distribution system as a backup.
I'd sure like to know if I could put it in one of my Cruisers, it runs sweet !

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I don't know anything about that engine but generally speaking if they were used in still applications (generators, whatever) then they aren't a good candidate for an automotive application. The fuel pump delivery, etc is designed for staying at one RPM, not for shifting up and down in RPMS and smooth-rounded power like a automotive application. You could look into replacing the fuel pump with something designed and curved for an automotive application but fuel pumps typically aren't too cheap and it's possible you might run into other complications from swithcing it as well, it depends on the engine. But it is worth looking into, especially if it's just a fuel pump.

Check over here on the Binder Bulletin Forums (don't mention you're a cruiserhead though, I've been sending too many over there and they are starting to get a little pissed). Also the moderator's a nice guy but we could say he "moderates heavily") and seems to be aware of every new post on the board.

Just say, "I've found this engine and am considering it for a swap." :D Also, read the diesel engine conversions sticky first, you "have to post to the right thread." :rolleyes:

http://atlas.binderbulletin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5

EDIT : Here is the detroit / allison thread from those forums

http://atlas.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4370

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Get a hold of Dieselcruiserhead on this forum... he has diesel in his veins.
He will probably see your post and be along shortly.

* update* Wow that was fast Andre!

I used to have a dodge M37 power wagon and I came across a guy that put a Perkins in one. Got great MPG and he said he could pull a plow ( tiller) with it through hsi farm

:eek:

I think Charles Aarons has a perkins in one of his rigs if I am not mistaken.. do a search on Charles Aarons and you should find his e-maill addy.

Bennett

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
I don't know him but here is his email from the diesel list that he lurks on. [email protected] I've also seen him post occationally in the general 4x4 section, he's the one who converted a 205 to dual offset using 200 components. He also runs a Perkins in a FJ45.
is there any more info on this conversion?

did he make dual right side or dual left side offset?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, thanks !:)
I'll start to do a little research and keep you guys advised as to what I find out.
This engine only has 12 hours of service on it, it looks brand spankin new:D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That may be the best idea, since it is already setup for that sort of operation.
It would be a kick a$$ generator:eek:
Dieselhead Cruiser is probably right about trying to convert it to an automotive application. The more I look at it the more complicated it gets.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.