Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so not much LR tech, but I know that at least a few of you probably know the answer to this question.

What small-ish to medium-ish sized disel engine (that's NOT from a US manufacturer) will bolt up to a Chevy bellhousing?

I was thinking that the Isuzu motor might, since the box trucks that use that engine also are available with a 350.

What about the Mitsu? Hino?

Drove a Td5 110 for about 4 hours today in the mountains, on the flats, low range, high range, etc.... Was VERY impressed.

Most of all I really liked his 800 mile cruising range on one tank of gas.

So, now I'm wondering if a diesel might not have been the best choice for the CrewCab after all.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope Timm doesnt hear about this :flipoff2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oil Burner

Mike, don't forget to allow for the slightly lower mileage caused by your rig occupying two time zones!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Why not a US diesel?

Simon

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
untrakdrover said:
I hope Timm doesnt hear about this :flipoff2:
Oh I don't care what Timm hears. He always thinks he's right anyway, so if this pumps up that attitude a little more then that's fine.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yea, yea, go deisel. Forget about the lousy small block!

I get dibs on that "old " sbc :flipoff2:

-Jeff

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, that SBC if I sold it complete would be pretty sweet for someone.

They'd get all the bracketry we did for the alt/dual Sanden's, and a bunch of other stuff in there.

Hmmm....now that I think of it maybe I'll keep it after all....(starting to sound like 9V). :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Rember the benifits of the "NAPA" fix. Some exotic or industrial diesel's might have a long lead time or limited distribution network. Just a few other hings to consider.

-Jeff

Besides, aren't you past the point of aquiring parts? Hell, it runs, keep it that way! JMHO

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
cummins

or le cummins
or bloody ol cummins
pho hung cummins
just pretend it doesn't weigh that much and that it's not from the US

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The Isuzu 4BD-T 4-cylinder turbo would be a sweet engine, provided you had the right gearing. I understand that the standard Chevy bellhousing would fit with very minor modifications, it's used on both Isuzu and GM cab forward trucks. I'm reasonably sure that both the HP and TQ ratings are higher than on a TD5 and they're extremely reliable engines. Moreover, they're rumored to be surprisingly quiet, much quieter than the Cummins or Powerstroke.

I don't know dimension-wise, but it seems to me that Defenders have more space than a 40 series Land Cruiser, on which this engine has been swapped successfully.

When I lived in Arizona I looked very carefully at doing this conversion and got a ton of information off the web; I also found that big Western Cities (Denver, SLC, Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, etc...) are the best place to find these motors, most of them have at least one or two junkyards specializing in medium-duty commercial trucks.

Parts are VERY easily available and surprisingly cheap, and because of the abundance of these trucks all over North America, finding parts and/or techs to work on these engines if need be shouldn't be too difficult.

I confess I have an ulterior motive in supporting this conversion, it's one I've considered doing myself! My plan was to run a 4BD-T mated to an NV4500, then to an 85-87 LC split-style case via an AA adapter. The trick would be to make sure the gearing on the truck is set right, the Isuzu engines are notorious for liking to run at lower RPM's.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So......with an SM465 and an AA overdrive, 3:54 gearing and a stock-ish LT-230 how would that Isuzu motor work out?

I was thinking that would be the one to use since I know that they use the Chev motors in those trucks too.

What about things like clutch/rad/aircleaner/etc..???

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe a Volvo td40 or tmd40 would fit. They are inline 6, 3.6l and 130hp.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have often wondered about the Isuzu swap as well.. Living in Denver I see these trucks everywhere. I imagine there are tons of parts somewhere in this town. They seem a little louder than te 300TDI, but maybe that's my imagination and the Isuzu trucks lack of insulation.

Michael, Did you get my PM about that Rear Quarter Panel for a RRC? Sorry to change the subject.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gotta chime in :flipoff2:

i would not go with a 4cyl diesel in a truck of that mass. you have the wheelbase to successfully put a very heavy engine in the front, so why limit yourself to a 4cyl?

i vote for the isuzu 6BD1-T, which is a 5.9L. a small displacement, high revving diesel will not cut it in a vehicle that is, truly, a real TRUCK. it is not a halfway between vehicle like most land rovers any more, it has been modified to the point of truck and beyond. long WB, heavy, and specialized.

isuzu builds some of the best diesels in the world, and they are available (parts and otherwise) all over the world.

JL (HandBuilt) has a Ford 300ci 6cyl in his 109. the ford 300 has a ONE INCH shorter overall length than a cummins 6BT, which is similar to the isuzu 6BD1. JL's breakfast panel is in the stock location on his 109, so with some firewall mods and a defender nose, a large inline 6 diesel WILL fit.

not to mention, it will cruise better, accelerate better, be heavier duty, and see less wear and tear (from having to floor it to get it moving all the time).

do you want too little power, or power to spare? the ideal engine would be in between, a 5cyl version of the BD1 series, which would have roughly a 4.9L displacement. but one does not exist, so you must choose between 3.9 and 5.9. i would choose 5.9.

but then again maybe i should use reverse psychology and say 3.9, since no matter what i say you will never agree with it :D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
9V said:
gotta chime in :flipoff2:

but then again maybe i should use reverse psychology and say 3.9, since no matter what i say you will never agree with it :D
Oh, don't be so sure. You actually are one of the people I wanted to give their opinion. Even though we may not agree on a few things, I know that deep inside that thick skull of yours resides a lot of good information. Menutia about diesels is what I wanted you to give me.

I'll start looking at the 6cyl version. Will is still bolt up to a Chevy bellhousing?

Am I going to be able to use the same clutch stuff, or will that have to be re-engineered *again*???

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I lost an uphill "race" with a loaded Isuzu NPR truck and at the top of the hill asked the guy if he was loaded. He said half the box was full of wooden furniture!

Take a look at the HP and TQ figures for the 4BD-T, they might be enough for your plans and I insist, *gearing* will be an important factor to consider.

I think a six-cylinder diesel is also a good option *if* you have the space to fit it and are not worried about the rest of the driveline standing up to it, since it probably generates a lot more torque than the 4-cylinder. Remember, Isuzu NPR's and their Chevy counterparts are not small trucks, and the move *very well* under power from the 4-cylinder.

I guess what I'm saying is don't discount it, it might be a great conversion.

·
Registered
660 Posts
resistance is futile

Prepare to be assimilated - say it with me Mike - we will say it slowly at first, so you can get used to it. Cummins. Cummins. Cummins. Cummins!!

There. That was easy wasn't it?:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Seriously though, sorry to hear the SBC aint working out for you. Go to the glass shop and get a piece of triple strength tempered glass and build a little frame to hold it (using that shiny new welder), and you can use the SBC for a coffee table! then you can store it in your living room for a rainy day.

Simon

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Serious One said:

Oh, don't be so sure. You actually are one of the people I wanted to give their opinion. Even though we may not agree on a few things, I know that deep inside that thick skull of yours resides a lot of good information. Menutia about diesels is what I wanted you to give me.

I'll start looking at the 6cyl version. Will is still bolt up to a Chevy bellhousing?

Am I going to be able to use the same clutch stuff, or will that have to be re-engineered *again*???

Thanks.
it shares everything with the 4cyl except for the number of them :D

btw, i dont think that i have a thick skull, just a big helmet. sometimes i manage to pry the helmet off my head, and sometimes it stays on. it isnt always under the control of my conscious mind :D

btw, i was just pulling your leg anyways, you and i do share alot of the same ideas, we just choose to express them differently.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, this is what I've got going on right now with the engine/od/transmission.

350, AA Ranger Overdrive, SM-465.

I don't know what the AA overdrive is rated to, but I think the SM-465 will hold up to the 6cyl. diesel.

I called a place back east and they said that the engine was about 4K used (30 day warrantee). He didn't know about bellhousings, etc...He'll call me back tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
60seriesguy said:
I guess what I'm saying is don't discount it, it might be a great conversion.
very true, but i think that all around, the 6cyl would be a better choice. the 4cyl would work, but maybe not as well.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts