Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys I work with has an 80s diesel, and cant get the motor to run, so I says put a 350 in it. He says it aint that easy, none of the parts match up, blah blah blah. Aside from DMV how difficult of an exchange is it.
Thanks,
-Steve

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Need a better idea on exactly what year,1982 was the first year on the 6.2-- earlier was the 5.7. If it is the later 80s the gas swap is almost a complete bolt in, motor mounts and all. The early 5.7 Its easier to sell the truck

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Search, its been covered here before, and also on CK5. Newbie. :flipoff2:

Pete

·
Registered
112 Posts
with the 5.7 diesel, if you really want to keep the truck, put a olds 455 in it, and keep it regiistered as a diesel. Most of the stuff that is in the wrong place, etc for chevy will work with the olds engine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The conversion is the best way to go for a hotrod truck..Its been a while science I have lived in california but back in the late 80's early 90's I used to do conversions all the time..Would buy diesel trucks that were basket cases and some newer dodges,and fords and convert them to gas guzzl'n big blocks and not have to get smog inspections..Its an easy swap in a chevy..It all depends on what he wnats to do with it..get a bb 454 or 502 with a built 350 or 400 trans an use current 4x running gear..I assume its 3/4 ton and not a half ton blazer or suburban.Its all up to the $$$on how far a guy can will and wants to go...i have done a few swaps here in oregon and its still one of the best ways around smog checks..Here all they do for diesel is send in the vin # and they put it on file..he he,,vin says its a diesel..good luck..say by by to smog.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
LilCJ5 said:
One of the guys I work with has an 80s diesel, and cant get the motor to run, so I says put a 350 in it. He says it aint that easy, none of the parts match up, blah blah blah. Aside from DMV how difficult of an exchange is it.
Thanks,
-Steve
I searched, extensively, on this topic and couldn't find much information either. I'm sure this has been done many time before though. I have a 1984 CUCV with a 6.2 liter diesel that doesn't run. I'd like to swap in a 350, just cause they're inexpensive and I know how to work on them. Two questions: are the motor mounts different? and is there anything else I should expect?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So, has nothing on this changed since early February? Give us an update or something so we don't have to go over it again.

As an aside, the Olds 350/455 swap is easy to do with a Chevy 350, and would be even easier with the diesel. Motor mounts and all that stuff is already there on the diesel. Plus, the 455 weighs less than a chev 454 and puts out more torque.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts