Paper template of the adaptor

20190831_013048
Rough cut and drilled to fit the axle

20190831_223936
I turned some spacers on the lathe

20190831_223952
The bent piece of steel is to get clearance between the disc and calliper

20190831_211324
Spacers tacked to the adaptor, I used the electric parking break to hold the calliper in the right place when I welded.

20190831_234707
After some grinding we have the finished adapter

20190901_011601
Mounted on the axle.

I'm going to use two switches for activation of the parking brake, then I can use them separately as a steering brake.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
What is that e-brake from? Im probably behind the times, but I've never seen one. Is it using hydro or magnets like a trailer. (I guess it is unlikely to use magnets because of power draw for parking) Is it considered an emergency brake? (Will it work if your brake line gets a major leak)

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
What is that e-brake from? Im probably behind the times, but I've never seen one. Is it using hydro or magnets like a trailer. (I guess it is unlikely to use magnets because of power draw for parking) Is it considered an emergency brake? (Will it work if your brake line gets a major leak)

Sorry for all the questions.
The callipers are from Volvo V70 2014 and newer.
Basically it's the same calliper on XC70 and S60 also, they are available with vented and solid discs and in different sizes (diameter)

It works with a motor that extend the piston, the return and adjustment of the piston is handled by the piston seal as a normal calliper.
The adjustment will work without the hydraulics attached.

On the Volvo the "clamping" force is controlled by the current.

In and out of the parking brake is controlled by two wires that just changes polarity.

It will work as emergency brake with damage/lost brake hoses.

I hope this answers you questions.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Basically it's the same calliper on XC70 and S60 also, they are available with vented and solid discs and in different sizes (diameter)

It works with a motor that extend the piston, the return and adjustment of the piston is handled by the piston seal as a normal calliper.

In and out of the parking brake is controlled by two wires that just changes polarity.

Very interested to see how you toggle the e-brake on and off? Simple three way rocker switch like a winch? This system has proven to work well in Canada and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to trying it. Problem is the aftermarket/replacement calipers don't come with the module/motor so I'll have to junk yard some :mad3:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I bought mine from the junkyard.

The callipers only had 8750 miles on them and I payed 50 bucks each and that included bracket, calliper and motor

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I have made new brackets for my rear panhard bar.
The bar became 140 mm longer with the new brackets.

20190902_221031
it needs some shaping to get the final form, I will do that when I take of the axle for welding.

20190905_220350

20190905_220356
It looked boring so I added a dimple on the side also.

20190906_220854
The finished bracket.
It will be welded on three sides of the frame.

20190907_211027
Some more reinforcement plates.

20190919_195348
And tacked in place.

I finally figured out how to do my rear limit straps.
20190919_194746
So now I have measured the length and have ordered the correct length.

I had to make a bracing to keep the winch mount from flexing.
20190928_235341

20190929_002753
I'm really happy with how they turned out and they took way to long time to make.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

So if you turn the parking brake on, it motors in and clamps. Then if you turn power off, it stays clamped until you reverse power? Or does it require some power to hold? I assume it must hold with no power.

When you switch it on and the motor goes in, how long till it's at full brake? I guess it will stall at maximum clamping force? At that point, is it getting wires hot? Or is there some kind of clutch? Do you have it on a momentary contact switch?

Have you ever played with this system on the Volvo? Like if you're going 20 mph and switch it on, will it drag it down quick?

I'm really sorry for all the questions. I find this system interesting.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Finally someone as crazy as me! I've had a prototype running around since EJS on an early jeep using a very similar VW/Audi electric ebrake caliper. So far it works sweet. The only issue is current draw when the motor is already clamped and you try to go the wrong way or use both motors at the same time. I will say they hold better than any ebrake I have seen yet!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
So if you turn the parking brake on, it motors in and clamps. Then if you turn power off, it stays clamped until you reverse power? Or does it require some power to hold? I assume it must hold with no power.

When you switch it on and the motor goes in, how long till it's at full brake? I guess it will stall at maximum clamping force? At that point, is it getting wires hot? Or is there some kind of clutch? Do you have it on a momentary contact switch?

Have you ever played with this system on the Volvo? Like if you're going 20 mph and switch it on, will it drag it down quick?

I'm really sorry for all the questions. I find this system interesting.
It doesn't need any power to hold.
If you let the motor clamp until it stalls you will burn the motor

This is how I gone do it.

One of my friends is going to build me a small controller with the following functions.

When you activate the brake it will clamp until current X is reached (don't now the current yet, will use same current as doner.)

Realise the brake, it will power the motor back for X seconds, this will take some trail and error to find the sweet spot.

With current one way and time the other will make the system "self adjusting"
and keep the shortest possible time from no break till full break, which will be important for the steering break function.

I have two friend with the same calliper that "only" use a winch switch to activate/deactivate the break with and do it by the sound (you hear when it starts to clamp hard) and that works really good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
For the moment I'm doing a lot of small stuff that takes forever to get done.
It's not showing so no pictures to show.

But now I really have to finish this build and start to tune it, I have signed up for a competition in May.
https://www.facebook.com/LodbrokeSweden/

It's going to be so much fun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
241 - 260 of 317 Posts