Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
As much as I like seeing odd and/or different stuff I think its worth mentioning the value of simplicity on these old jeeps. I think it can be very handy to be able to have common easy to find parts in a vehicle where issues can be diagnosed on the trail easily.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
I were out with some friends and drove for a few hours today.

The route we took my wasn't what we had planned:shaking:

The ground was frozen with 1-2" of ice on the water and the mud, it wasn't enough to hold to drive on, but it was very hard to break to get up again:mad3:

One car length after this pic is take my left frontwheel were disappeared in the mud.

Had to use the winch to get out of that hole

I found a little present from the forrest in one of my wheels:D a chunk of ice

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
In an earlier post I showed the tire print of my Pitbull Rocker.
Here are two pics with different pressure to compare, if someone is interested.

1,5 bar and approximately 380 kg load.

0,25 bar and approximately 380 kg load.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I wonder if it would be worth running around with the tires a little lower to break in the sidewalls a little bit? Those tires look incredibly stiff at 3psi. I don't even see much bulge in the sidewall yet...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yesterday evening I started the back half of my steel roof.

What I started with

Roofplate and tubing are painted with weldprimer

How it looked when I left.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Yesterday evening I finished the rear half of the roof.
And I also Welded on a loop to for the rear winchline on the cage, so I can secure the car in sideslopes etc.

Now it's just to paint it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I just gone use the Warn M8000 that was on the Willys when i bought it.

When you say crazy euro winch stuff do you mean like Gigglepin and Redwinches or more like the russian style mechanical winches?

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
When you say crazy euro winch stuff do you mean like Gigglepin and Redwinches or more like the russian style mechanical winches?
All of the above. In general you guys just seem to use your winches more than we do. In the USA winch use is kinda looked down upon most of the time...

I like seeing different stuff....the sideways winching, multiple winches, ibex vector winches, longer winch drums with silly amounts of cable, winches with silly fast speeds, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
All of the above. In general you guys just seem to use your winches more than we do. In the USA winch use is kinda looked down upon most of the time...

I like seeing different stuff....the sideways winching, multiple winches, ibex vector winches, longer winch drums with silly amounts of cable, winches with silly fast speeds, etc.
If you search for Ladoga trophy or Magam trophy on youtube you will find alot of winching.

Here is a link to arctic Trophy. I would like to drive that as an adventure and not as a competition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVSQaM_j1cs

Here is another clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqEtAUfthc It goes out in nowhere i northern russia.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I have found this pictures with measurements on of CJ-2 and CJ-3

I have two questions about it:
1 is this measurements correct?
2 any one that has the height of the rear of the hood?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
It doesn't happen much with the Willys.

But I have made new frames to mount the seats on and a batteryframe.

Most of my time I have been researching future upgrades like new engine and different options for new front suspension

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I have two questions about it:
1 is this measurements correct?
2 any one that has the height of the rear of the hood?
Height of the rear of the hood? Like the distance from the frame to the top of the cowl? or?

Sketch something out. I have a pretty decent computer model of the body to work with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Height of the rear of the hood? Like the distance from the frame to the top of the cowl? or?

Sketch something out. I have a pretty decent computer model of the body to work with.
From the ground to the top of the cowl, in the same spec as on the pic.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
From the ground to the top of the cowl, in the same spec as on the pic.
I can't reference the ground with my models. I can get a measurement from something else in the chassis. The top of the frame works best since that is a pretty static point.

What are you trying to figure out?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #119

I can't reference the ground with my models. I can get a measurement from something else in the chassis. The top of the frame works best since that is a pretty static point.

What are you trying to figure out?
It's okey from the top of the frame.

I try to see if my Willys is at the same "angle" as a standard Willys, just for fun so I know if it the same or not.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
It's okey from the top of the frame.

I try to see if my Willys is at the same "angle" as a standard Willys, just for fun so I know if it the same or not.
I'm still confused. Why not just use an angle finder on the top rail of the tub?
Or measure the difference in distance between the top of the rear tub rail and top of the hood at the grill?( from the ground) ( the difference being your 'angle')

101 - 120 of 317 Posts