1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dif Break-In

here is the quote from allprooffroad's tech page

"Differential Break-In

All new and reinstalled used gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. We find the best method is to drive for 15 to 20 miles and then let the differential(s) cool down. Drive gently during the first 500 miles, keeping speeds down and not towing a trailer during break-in. Once 500 miles has been reached, change the differential fluid to flush out any metal and/or phosphorus coating particles from the new gears. After break-in fluid should be changed every two years."

My question is how should I go about breaking in the front dif???

I have a driveshaft from High Angle Drive line and it has a vibration above 15 mph(was warned about this when i bought it). My question is how would you guys break in the front dif? I'd really hate to drive that 500 mile period @ 15 mph.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Run a few really easy trails, and change the gear oil after about 2 long days of trail riding. All I've ever done.

You can do what some of the REALLY thourough guys have done, and swap it into the rear... but that's too much work for me. :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about the swapping to the rear but I seemed like it would be a pain and there would have to be an easier way. So basically just take it easy for a while then change the fluid. I like that idea. Except I have a problem with taking it easy.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
drivearound without the front driveshaft off and the hubs locked, get that sucka spinning and warmed up. supposedly there a phosphate anti corsion coating on gears that you gotta scrub off....???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's a good idea too................but is that for those first 15-20 miles or the 500 miles before fluid change??

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You really just needta get the gears good and hot from what I understand. The locked hubs iwth no front driveshaft idea is a good one... I'm just paranoid about running over 20MPH with my hubs locked, since my buddies Heep blew two Warn inners when his front end fawked up from an un-noticed bend in the housing. Crunch. :9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts