Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so has anyone destroyed one? I dunno, I like beef but why replace what works? The stock dana cover is what, 1/8" thick?

All these posts on new covers, show me some carnage or are people just getting bored?

Mine looks like it went through the garbage disposal but it isn't touching the ring gear and still seals in the fluid..

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
:rolleyes:

Yes. I carry a trail spare as well.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
yep. only a d44 cover though. and it punched thru from the inside... no rocks necessary.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sceep said:
yep. only a d44 cover though. and it punched thru from the inside... no rocks necessary.

and this was a Dana cover? Just curious, I know the aftermarket ones are a joke. From the inside? Grenaded eh?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I never broke a D44 thick dana cover, but I welded some 1/8" to the ring gear area for added piece of mind. I also had lots of crawl so I didn't need ramming speed to get over rocks that the diffy was on either.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The ring gear "machined" a nice long slot in mine after it was pushed in by a rock. I had no idea until it started leaking (bad). Stock D60 cover (~1/8" thick). By the time I pounded it out (from the inside), I had a pretty big gap to weld up.

Pete

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I peeled the bottom of my F8.8" cover away so it was leaking, had to replace it. 'Course, teh 8.8" covers are known for being weaksauce.
Devin

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I punched a hole in my stock 60 rear cover on my first run after swapping it. After patching the hole (a little weld and a lot of gasket maker) I peeled it back on the second trip.

I put a stock front cover on there for now, and have made it on two or three more trips without issue. The front cover that is on my front d60 is a little banged up, but no leaking so far.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
Brandon said:
and this was a Dana cover? Just curious, I know the aftermarket ones are a joke. From the inside? Grenaded eh?
yup.. little <> dana stamp and all.

mini spool blew up, taking the R&P, shafts, carrier, and cover with it.

boooom :nuke:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The problem I'm having is the stock cover will peel back and cause the gear oil to leak. I took a grinder and made it smooth, but it still will catch rocks and peel back enough to leak.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
peeled back a few

and i was bored :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Brandon said:
ok so has anyone destroyed one? I dunno, I like beef but why replace what works? The stock dana cover is what, 1/8" thick?.....................QUOTE]

I just added some beef to my 44's........

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
DevinB said:
I peeled the bottom of my F8.8" cover away so it was leaking, had to replace it. 'Course, teh 8.8" covers are known for being weaksauce.
Devin
yeah, I have 4 rust holes in mine.. kinda hard to keep the fluid in.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Jamus2 said:
The 8.8 in my Ranger has a plastic cover. Makes it kinda hard to weld to. Wha was Ford thinking?
I guess they figured if it was all plastic, it wouldn't rust into oblivion like all other pieces of ford metal

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
ZUK said:
I just added some beef to my 44's........

I was plannins something like this with a ring, but now I might do the pipe trick too. :D

I've been pealing the covers and smashing/grinding bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts