Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second hand info but dude says a Sterling requires stuff he doesn't have to do the job. This is the 2nd guy who, thru 2nd hand info, won't mess with one. What is so special/different that would make it avoidable to someone who regularly does gear swaps?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There's nothing special about a Sterling. They're easier to rebuild than Dana's in my opinion.

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
I've done 9" Ford and some 14 bolts and Dana 44's but not a Sterling. I do know some guys that have and I've never heard anything about them being difficult.

Check in the Ford section. I'm sure Purolator is familiar with the sterling.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts

They are so common, that you can typically find a good used newer one with the gear ratio you want (if they are 373-430) on here for sale .

People want the front 60's for a project, and often leave the rear behind .

The cool thing about them is they just use one carrier, just like a Ford 8.8, for all gear ratios .

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
They are so common, that you can typically find a good used newer one with the gear ratio you want (if they are 373-430) on here for sale .

People want the front 60's for a project, and often leave the rear behind .

The cool thing about them is they just use one carrier, just like a Ford 8.8, for all gear ratios .
That is a good piece of information to know....thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Thank him for letting you know that he cant setup gears, better than him taking a stab at it, it locking up (nun killing ensues obviously)and then him telling you to get F'ed. Saved you a bunch of steps!

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
They are the same as a d70/d80 but built like a 8.8"

External shims but big brgs.

Most people dont have the big puller shell, some people wont use the old style spliter.

If theyre not going to make money on the job because they have to buy xxxx then they might not do it.

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
It's been a while but I believe there was an upgraded yoke when I did my '89.
There is. Forgot the cutoff.... it slides on to any pinion if i recall correctly.

Nothing special about a 10.25 or 10.5.

I put a detroit in one. Didn't seem any harder than doing my 8.8.... hell.... except for it being bigger amd heavier it would have been easier with the floating axles instead of c clips.

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
maybe it isn't the sterling but the vehicle it is on.

maybe he doesn't have a lift that he wants to put a f250 on because of his ceiling height or lift capacity ect

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
They are the same as a d70/d80 but built like a 8.8"

External shims but big brgs.

Most people dont have the big puller shell, some people wont use the old style spliter.

If theyre not going to make money on the job because they have to buy xxxx then they might not do it.
If they're a shop that does gears, it would seem using a job to pay for the tooling to do one of the most common rear ends in light duty pickups would be a smart business decision. Then again, there are plenty of dummies out there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sterling Shim Drivers is the only "special" tool, that I know of... And the "big" bearing puller shells, if you have that style puller...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Is it as simple as he doesn't have the pinion depth setup tool? I can see not doing the job because it doesn't warrant the tool cost in that case

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it as simple as he doesn't have the pinion depth setup tool? I can see not doing the job because it doesn't warrant the tool cost in that case
His exact words, "You need specific stuff that I don't have." All the info he provided my chassis guy.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
From my experience with Rugger's sterling

- perhaps he does not have the lift or does not want to deal with such a heavy axle. I made Rugger pull the axle from under his truck so I could work on it in the shop as I no longer will work under trucks doing gear swaps/setups

- I did not have a set of setup bearings, and my bearing puller does not work well stuff as large as the Sterling, I made Rugger make a set of setup bearings so I could set the shims easily. If it was a one off for a customer, and I did not have the correct tools, I may think twice about bidding on the job

- If I was busy with a lot of other (well paying) work I may make up some excuse as to why I did not want to do the job where the reality was I did not want to buy or make a tool I needed for that job that I am likely only to use very infrequently.

Otherwise nothing special about doing Sterlings apart from them being BUFF's.

·
Apple
11,704 Posts
His exact words, "You need specific stuff that I don't have." All the info he provided my chassis guy.
in that case...
Thank him for letting you know that he cant setup gears, better than him taking a stab at it, it locking up (nun killing ensues obviously)and then him telling you to get F'ed. Saved you a bunch of steps!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts