Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 80' 3/4 ton with a 14 FF and a 10 Bolt in the front. I'm servicing the diff's as soon as I know all the required info.

Does anyone know or have a link to information about bolt torq, RTV (or gasket), gear oil type and quantity?

Sorry for the ultra-noob diff questions, but I didn't find anything on the net or on this forum, but I'm sure its there some place.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
You can glue the covers on, I recommend ultra grey or black. The 14 bolt will hold a full gallon of oil and the 10b will take 2 to 2 1/2 quarts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Does anyone know if I need to worry about torque specs or just get them "firm" I know with the RTV if I over tighten I could warp the covers.

Also I saw something about using lock tight or lock washers(which I plan on doing). Is this required or just preventative?

·
What did you expect?
12,766 Posts
I personally have not used lockwashers, and not used torque wrench
on cover bolts either. as to type of oil, presence/type of locker, if any
will dictate type of oil & additives.

and, this is the place to ask noob questions.

·
Registered
837 Posts
any service or repair manual should have this info. if you plan on wrenching much on your truck and are a noob, these are real handy. if money is super tight, you can usually find one at the library until you get your own. advice from the parts counter guys can provide additional insight that the manual lacks when it says to "remove" something. so can a lot of folks here.
when you use the rtv on your covers, don't fully tighten them at first. lightly snug them, leaving a 1/16" gap between the cover and diff(this applies to all rtv application). when rtv has cured overnight, then torque the bolts. this will give you a compression fit of the rtv gasket to ensure a long lasting seal. be sure to clean and remove ALL grease,oil, grit, etc. before applying the rtv. i use carb cleaner(brake cleaner is great too) or acetone for final cleaning, don't use an oily carb cleaner (i believe it's "Gunk" brand). apply a thin layer on both, then press parts together and insert bolts. i have never had a leak since i started using this method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts