Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to thank everyone who has posted info on their shave jobs. I have looked at many pics and discriptions of how you capped the job.

I am wrapping up my disc brake swap now and will start the shaving next. My question that I have not seen the answer to is this:
Is it possable to take a bit too much off and "spring" the diff as you here of people doing with case spreaders?
Seems to me if you can spread the entire case enough to "spring" it than it could spring on its own if you take off too much of the bottom. Is this not a problem as long as you cap it befor you set the gears?

I am asking because I have next to nothing into this axle and have a spare housing so I plan to get pretty aggresive with the shave job. I have a 2 x 8 x 12 chunk of steel to make my "cap" out of so if I can go crazy without causing preload problems for the gears I will.

I have seen all kinds of pics of diffs that work I guess I am after a pic or knowledge of one that went to far. Has anyone gone to far and destroyed a diff?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a D60 of course :D

The how much is my current dilema. I was thinking of turning the ring gear up as high as possable than shaving even higher. Then make my "cap" high on the sides and come down around the carrier/ring. Sorta like a home brewed Dyna Pro Rock deal.

Basicly just looking to see if anyone has gone to far and if they can explain how far is to far. If not I will give it my best and see if it works.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If you're worried about it cut two pieces of dowel rod to fit where the housing spreader would go and connect them with a large fine thread turnbuckle. Turn for slight preload and then chop off the lower half of the housing. Hell you could just use the diff cover bolts also.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I think if you're just shaving the bottom off and then capping it that you aren't in danger of "springing it" as you say. If you were changing it all up like the one guy did who made his look like a prorock 60 then that might be possible but other than that there is much material there that you aren't in any damage of that in my opinion.

- jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.