Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never really read up much on Jeeps since i own a fullsize, so i am looking for some info. I searched, but to no avail. I basically want to know the differences in all the Jeep models. I have some knowledge and was wanting either confirmation that i am correct, and if i'm not, let me know if i am a dumbass.

CJ 5
- What is considered as the typical "jeep." Short wheel base, narrow axles and frame and has round headlights. Predecessor to the CJ 7

CJ 7
- Longer wheelbase, wider stance, round headlights, Predecessor to the Wrangler

Wrangler YJ
- i have no clue what the difference between this and the CJ 7 is other than didn't this have square headlights?

Wrangler TJ
- same thing as YJ, but with round headlights

XJ
- The boxy looking cherokee?

ZJ
- Grand Cherokee

Willys
- Old style war jeep

Do the jeep trucks, like the comanche, have the letters for them, also?

Am i leaving anything out as far as models go?

Don't all 4WD jeeps have a straight axle up front beside the grand cherokee?

Which ones are leaf sprung and which are coil sprung?

How full of shit am I? Let me know what i am wrong about and what decent info i left out. I'm just trying to put this into one forum because i'm sure i'm not the only clueless fullsize-er when it comes to Jeeps.

Also, what is a Renegade?

Thanks,
Trip

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
You left out several models most importantly the CJ6...not to mention
MB, GPW, CJ2 CJ3 CJ3b (missing link CJ4) CJ8, CJ10, (NEVER SEEN A CJ9) j10, j20, j30, KAISERS....on and on... Jeepter's, comando's

web search for history of Jeep,,,

http://www.4wdonline.com/Jeep/Jeep.History.html

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
yeup, check up on those websites. you can be a fullsize guy and a jeep guy at the same time... check out my webpage.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The YJ has a wider frame fully boxed, much stronger than a CJ, it has square headlights, and 2 1/2" springs.

The TJ has an even stronger frame, with coils for suspension and a sloping front end, with a slightly curved windshield, crappy 3 piece roll bar, and slightly wider body.

WJ new grand cherokee wider

ZJ old grand cherokee

KJ liberty

DJ postal (dispatch) jeep

A renegade is just a body package, like the sahara or islander package ect...

Only the KJ and grand cherokees have ifs.

There are also grand wagoneers, the new scrambler which would be best called a TJ-6, even the old scrambler was a CJ8

Ben

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Indispensible book to have about Jeeps is The Buyer's Guide to the Jeep. It's available at Books-a-Million

It follows the Jeep story from the days just before up through the Grand Cherokee.

And you are a dumbass but not any more than the rest of these yahoos :flipoff2:

BTW the Commanche is the MJ

·
Registered
168 Posts
fj40john said:
Ummm. what do you need to know, they all SUCK!! Forget that idea and buy a cruiser :flipoff2:

I'm going to have to second this one:D I only know a couple of people with Jeeps and both hated them. And if you're comparing stockers, a 30 y/o Land Cruiser will beat any new Jeep:flipoff2:

·
Registered
528 Posts
none of the grand Cherokees have IFS... yet.

the Grand wagoneer had IFS for a few years a LONG-ASS time ago. but then Jeep got smart and realised that IFS sucks.

doubt they'll realize it again :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Only '83 to '86 CJ7 was wider. The '76 to '82 was the same as CJ5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts