Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there are the TSLs, SSRs, TSL SX, Radials, What are the differences between these tires? I know the basic difference between Radials and bias ply, but if anyone knows why there are different types, I would love to know. I am planning on buying some new 37-38" tires in the next couple months. Looked at the MTRs also. Any help would be appreciative. Saw a couple things on the search but nothing really helpful.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I myself don't know what the difference is between the TSL,SSR or the SX and I would also like to know. I was just going to wait till I get ready to buy and call Interco. Since the question came up maybe someone here can splain. I know I want the bias ply and have heard the radials SUCK. I want the sidewall strength of a bias ply.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
fireman0977 said:
Ok I know there are the TSLs, SSRs, TSL SX, Radials, What are the differences between these tires? I know the basic difference between Radials and bias ply, but if anyone knows why there are different types, I would love to know. I am planning on buying some new 37-38" tires in the next couple months. Looked at the MTRs also. Any help would be appreciative. Saw a couple things on the search but nothing really helpful.
HOLY NEWBIE QUESTION BATMAN!

TSL = Basic Bias. Good combo mud & rock tire
SSR = Heavy ass radial tire. 37" size like to come apart on the street.
TSL SX = HD Bias. Extra steel belts make it next to indestructible. Tread tends to take a more rounded profile and they don't have quite as much bite as a TSL in the mud. One of the best tires for really sharp jagged rock.
TSL Radial = Radial version of the Bias TSL. Least bite of the "TSL" group of tires in the mud, weaker than the bias tires on rock.

If you want us to help, you should describe how muc h street-trail use you have, how many street miles, or is it trail only? What kind of trails? How much noise and wear will you tolerate? Budjet?

Personally, I'm running 36" TSL on my DD right now (20+ miles a day easy) and have worn off about a quarter of the tread since early summer. But since I bought them with 50% tread, they're huring pretty bad. Next tires will be the 38.5x14.50 TSL/SXs sitting out back... but not until I have a DD car to keep those $$$ swampers off the roads, and some wheel spacer to get them off the front springs at full lock. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
mAN, YOU FORGOT A COPUPLE!!!!!!!!

TSL/BOGGER Bites rock pretty good, sucks in off camber stuff, you end up hittin trees alot!!
"THORNTURD" one word :rainbow:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
raptorman57 said:
Since the question came up maybe someone here can splain. I know I want the bias ply and have heard the radials SUCK. I want the sidewall strength of a bias ply.
Basically, OOPS...

BIAS TIRE:

See how the cords in the carcass are laid at an angle (biased) to the tread? Well, usually, these tires carcasses are as thick in the sidewall (or near so) as they are in the tread. SO the tires have tough sidewalls.

This TSL is the same old-school design used on model-T fords. :D They handle like crap on the road because the tire tends to have a round body, so it has more "squirm" in the corners, they have more rolling resistance, and they have flat spots when cold. But they're tough.

The TSL/SX is this style of nylon bias tire but with two extra belts (not just cords) in the tread area for extra puncture resistance. The extra cords and the sidewall tread that actually keeps things from putting holes in it. :)

RADIAL TIRE:

Raidals have a stiffer tread thant sidewall. They tend to actually be square in profile and that helps them stay where you want them too in corners. They don't get flat spots and they are generally better on the road in every possible way. The only terrain where they are almost certianly better off-road than a bias tire is snow. The way they flatten out just appears to work really well. The flexible sidewalls don't require ultra-low pressure to flex, like Bias tires do. But they're weaker.

Does that help :D

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
crash said:
mAN, YOU FORGOT A COPUPLE!!!!!!!!
Dayum. I hate forgetting "cuopuples". :flipoff2:

I have a strong feeling I'll have two sets of tires eventually. 38.5s for the rocks, and a set of 35" boggers for here in MUDphis, TN. They'll be missing all the :rainbow: little lugs, of course. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, not a dd, i only use it for trails. But i drive it to the trails wherever i go. Still has the 22r, but bored over .030 and trd cam, well hell all the xtras on the outside of the engine to make it go. I have 4.88 gears, spooled rear, ez up front. Dual cases just got here. I mostly play in the big rocks, they are the most fun. Don't have a straight body panel. Windshield needs to be redone. Duct tape isn't holding it anymore. So it is a trail abused rock crawler. It only has 33s which i thought would be fine when i did my SAS but hey everyone thinks that the first time. I have about 7-8 inches of lift right now and not afraid to use the sawzall or torch. SO tire fitment is not a big deal. So yeah probably go with the bias ply, 38" tire from swamper. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
FYI: The 38x12.50 TSL (And the TSL/SX too, I'm pretty sure) are a true 36 inches high in the 15" wheel. The 16.5 ones are a LOT bigger. :(

That's why everyone like the 38.5s... they measure 37.5 inches high as far as I know. (anyone got a true measurement on those, btw?) and they seem to work very well in the rocks.

A 38.5 is about the biggest tire I feel comfortable running on a Toy axle, even with chomoly inner and longfields. MAYBE a 40" MT/R when they came out, but just because they'll be lighter and narrow. But I don't ever want to run an MT/R again, anyway. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TNToy said:

Basically, OOPS...

Does that help :D
Well I guess you miss understood my reply,thanks for the pics though. I knew the difference between the bias and radial. What I didn't know was the difference in the models of Swampers.

From my first reply: ;)

"I myself don't know what the difference is between the TSL,SSR or the SX and I would also like to know."

Thanks for the tech tid bit anyway:)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Dunno why I thought you were that retired old fart. :emb3:

The SX is a TSL with two nylon plies in 'em. Does that help? :p

I hope you know better than to care about :rainbow: radials in TN. The radial swampers (36x12.60 and 38x12.50) have a different sidewall lug pattern that has MUCH less bite in wet gooey stuff than the bias tires, so I won't ever run a radial swamper unless I get a helluva deal.

Or if they're 38x14.50 radials. They have a pretty good tread pattern, but they're mega-$$$. :eek:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info, that pretty much gives me what i want for information on them

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TNToy said:
Dunno why I thought you were that retired old fart. :emb3:

I hope you know better than to care about :rainbow: radials in TN.
Nope not a retired old fart,though I feel like it after laying 12" block all day

Yep, The only things that get radials at my house are my wife blazer and my Dodge 1500 work truck.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
OK, what would you guys reccomend for me. Its on my DD, 30 highway miles a day. I don't mind some noise, but I don't want them to wear down too quick and I would still like it to be safe on the highway. My wheeling spots are about 2.5 hrs away. Wheeling is mostly slick sandstone and mud. I try to avoid the mud, but sometimes it's inevitable. TSL radials, SSR's, or MTR's? 36" or 37".

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Keep in mind too that not all tires of the same kind have the same tread.

For example, the tread on the 33" and smaller TSL Radials is NOT the same as the 36x12.5" radial, which are not the same as the 36x14.5" radial, which IS similar to the 38.5x16 Radial.

Similarly, the 36" SX & 38.5" SX share the same tread, but are different than the 33x15.5 and 35x15.5" SX tires.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
The same is also true with the 35" boggers, from 14" to the 16", there is a lug depth difference.
I never could understand the many differences in the make up the tires that interco makes....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
DRM said:
Keep in mind too that not all tires of the same kind have the same tread.

For example, the tread on the 33" and smaller TSL Radials is NOT the same as the 36x12.5" radial, which are not the same as the 36x14.5" radial, which IS similar to the 38.5x16 Radial.

Similarly, the 36" SX & 38.5" SX share the same tread, but are different than the 33x15.5 and 35x15.5" SX tires.
True True very True.
I've not seen every different size that swamper put's out. but from what I've seen, the 34x9.50x15 swamper has the deepest tread new. My freind Doug has 36x12.50 TSL's on his 81 Toy and 34x9.50 TSL's on his 86 Runner. When these tires were new the 34's had almost 3/8" more tread than the 36's. It's not much but every little bit helps I guess.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
"But I don't ever want to run an MT/R again, anyway."

Why? I've had BFGs, currently have 34x9.50x15 TSLS, and am considering 35x12.50x15 MTRs or BFGs next....the swampers are great in mud, too skinny in the rocks and like to fall of the 6" wide rims even at 17psi or a little more! Also the outer lugs are about half gone after only a couple years. I know the BFG sidewalls aren't great...I've wasted al couple and seen many others cut wide open on rocks and tree rooots at the con.

BTW, wheel mostly at Rubicon with sometimes DD backup, no trailer, and no $$$ for beadlocks. Actual mounted height of 36" maximum due to yota axles, 4banger, and side-hill wheeling.

Input please.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
6" wheels, there is your problem.. The narrow wheel and stiff sidewalls actually peel the bead off the rim.
The best combo in my opinion is a 10" wheel for that width of a tire...

here is an example i like to use,and I have found it to be quite accurate when explaining why a tire with a stiff sidwall has a tendancy to peel off a narrow where.. Take a stick on a smooth/slippery floor. Hold the stick verticle and press down hard, what does the stick do, nothing, now take that stick and move the bottom to one side and press down, what happens, it wants to force it to the one side, my beliefe is the same reaction happens with too narrow of a wheel..

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Nate C said:
"But I don't ever want to run an MT/R again, anyway."

Why? I've had BFGs, currently have 34x9.50x15 TSLS, and am considering 35x12.50x15 MTRs or BFGs next....the swampers are great in mud, too skinny in the rocks and like to fall of the 6" wide rims even at 17psi or a little more! Also the outer lugs are about half gone after only a couple years. I know the BFG sidewalls aren't great...I've wasted al couple and seen many others cut wide open on rocks and tree rooots at the con.

BTW, wheel mostly at Rubicon with sometimes DD backup, no trailer, and no $$$ for beadlocks. Actual mounted height of 36" maximum due to yota axles, 4banger, and side-hill wheeling.

Input please.
I`ll be happy if my TSL SX last 2 years driving on the street and trails.... seems good to me..

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Nate C said:

Input please.
First off, Clicking the QUOTE button under somebody's post is a lot faster than cut/pasting ""But I don't ever want to run an MT/R again, anyway.""" ;)

The 34x9.50 TSL is a completely different animal than the other swampers. The sidewalls are like iron, and the tread is nothing like any other TSL. When I'm talking about "TSL" I'm referring to the "stadnard" sizes 90% of the people run: It applies to 33x12.50, 36x12.50, 38x12.50... the Q78, the 34s and the fattes (35x15, etc) are different animals from the rest of the pack, as DRM mentioned.

The reason I will never run an MT/R again is because the work well... as long as the trail is dry. Toss in a little mud (or in my case, a metric ton of it) and they suck nuts. Given what you stated as your off-road use and how much you expect out of a tire, I wouldn't recommend an interco tire to you. Anyone that even MENTIONS tread noise AT ALL is not someone I leap to recommend a set of tires with INTERCO written on the sidewall.

The TSL is the best all around tire for my area, consisting of a lot of mud, and some rocks whenever I can leave town to find them. For muddy terrain, the Bogger is the best tire hands down. Especially if cut. But they take HP to make work - you GOTTA spin em, and spin em fast. TSLs clean out much better at slower speeds Toy 4-bangers are able to generate. TSLs have bigger gaps between the lugs, but Boggers are shaped better to dig and bite once they're spun up. I'm talking about 2nd, Low, Redline from the Toyota as "low speed"... in comparison to 2nd, hi, 3500RPM when pushed by an american 8-cylinder mill.

That one kinda rambled, but I had a lot of not-so-related stuff I wanted to say. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts