Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the difference in ring gear diameter between a set of 4.10s and 5.29s? I want to get started shaving my housings, but don't have the 5.29s yet and want to make sure I leave enough room.

Thanks

·
Banned
253 Posts
Ring Gear

This is so hardcore tech.. I am guessing 8" but I could be wrong!

·
Registered
233 Posts
maybe 8 or perhaps....8

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ya gotta admit that asking what the difference in diameter is between a Toy 8" 529 ring gear and a Toy 8" 4.1 ring gear is a little retarded:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
This needs to be in the FAQ..good info.:flipoff2::lmao::lmao:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Anybody know the difference in ring gear diameter between a set of 4.10s and 5.29s? I want to get started shaving my housings, but don't have the 5.29s yet and want to make sure I leave enough room.

Thanks

4" :D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The real answer to the question actually depends on numerous factors. First, what hemisphere are we in? Northwest. Why you ask. It effects the gravitational pull on the ring gear itself causing the high density metal to distort more under load thereby giving you a .137" deflection outwards during acceleration in this hemisphere. Of course this in and of itself isn't going to be a lone factor in determining the difference in diameter. So we need to take the .137" deflection and multiply it by the time conversion factor going from your zone to Universal Time Code. Since you are on the east coast, we need to multiply times four to get a grand total of .548"

Now... this number isn't practicle in the real world for a number of reasons. First, the deflection will vary greatly based on gear lube temperature, quality of oil, and the outside ambient air temperature on any given day. I imagine it is still fairly warm out down in Virginia, so I will call it 80 degrees. So we take the .548 and divide by 80. This gives you .00685" of true deflection which is taking into consideration hemisphere location, conversion to time zone, and outside air temperature. In reality, there is no considerable differences in diameter for mocking up an axle housing since you are dealing with such a fraction of a measurement. If anything, I would be more concerned with the expansion rate of the steel used to fabricate the new centersection of the housing. Of course you would have known this if you read the fuckin' FAQ.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The real answer to the question actually depends on numerous factors. First, what hemisphere are we in? Northwest. Why you ask. It effects the gravitational pull on the ring gear itself causing the high density metal to distort more under load thereby giving you a .137" deflection outwards during acceleration in this hemisphere. Of course this in and of itself isn't going to be a lone factor in determining the difference in diameter. So we need to take the .137" deflection and multiply it by the time conversion factor going from your zone to Universal Time Code. Since you are on the east coast, we need to multiply times four to get a grand total of .548"

Now... this number isn't practicle in the real world for a number of reasons. First, the deflection will vary greatly based on gear lube temperature, quality of oil, and the outside ambient air temperature on any given day. I imagine it is still fairly warm out down in Virginia, so I will call it 80 degrees. So we take the .548 and divide by 80. This gives you .00685" of true deflection which is taking into consideration hemisphere location, conversion to time zone, and outside air temperature. In reality, there is no considerable differences in diameter for mocking up an axle housing since you are dealing with such a fraction of a measurement. If anything, I would be more concerned with the expansion rate of the steel used to fabricate the new centersection of the housing. Of course you would have known this if you read the fuckin' FAQ.
Not bad but you didn't even take barometric pressure into account. Fuckin newbies:shaking:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
25,063 Posts
A whole thread full of noob dipshits that apparently don't know that some toy ring gears are different outside diameters.

Convertiyota, I don't know the info you need, but (if you ever read this trainwreck again) I understand why you asked.

Why did no one lay down the law in here????? More importantly, why did no one give him the answer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts