Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was in Advanced Auto checking on prices for parts I had the guy look up the price on a mini spool for my 9". Well there were three options for 31 splines: Mini spool- steel, Mini Spool- steel 4-pinion, and Mini spool- Aluminum. I know the diferences between the steel and aluminum, but what does the 4-pinion mean? We called the dealer where they order there gears from and they didn't know what was meant by the 4-pinion. I am assuming that I just need the regular steel mini spool since it will be for a stock 9", but now I am just curious.

·
Registered
341 Posts
4 Pinion has 2 cross shafts and 2 pinion has 1 cross shaft . If you do use a mini-spool be sure to get a chromoly shaft. the shaft is the only thing that I have seen fail with one. Have never seen a chromoly shaft fail.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i broke 1 stock cross shaft, and them striped the splines out of the pass. side, maybe 35x16 boggers on pavement had something to do with it. makes for bad ass one wheel burnouts though...........

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
yellow01tj said:
what are the advantages/disadvantages between minispool and full spool?
one of the advantages of going full spool is your replacing the carrier instead of reusing it like a lunchbox locker. So if your thinking of putting either in an axle that is known for carrier problems you'd would be better of going full spool.

disadvatage of full is the price difference for the most part.

i've run a mini in a 9" for almost 2 years now, sofar no problems yet, but i probably don't get it either. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
yellow01tj said:
what are the advantages/disadvantages between minispool and full spool?
A full spool is stronger but a mini doesnt require resetting backlash, pressing bearings and moving the ring gear to the spool.

Do it right use a full spool!

·
Registered
891 Posts
A full spool has less rotating mass and therefore takes less energy to move...that is more race car talk really but It does make a difference when trying to stop or go quickly.

Price difference is around 100 bones, it would be more than that if you look at summit I would say but you can find full spools for 110$ full lightweight spools for about 120$ and mini spools for 20 bucks. A mini spool works like a lock-right or detroit EZ in that it goes inside the carrier and uses a cross shaft that goes through the holes in the carrier and into the spool in order to lock everything up solid, a full spool is just one solid peice and less likely to fail...Full spools can handle the huge NHRA dragster horsepower but if you dont really "get it" go mini spool and save having to set up gears and save some money...or go full and get it over with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts